Default What's the first thing that you look for..please chime in.

The first thing that I look for is the dated Termite Stickers...If I see 1 for Dec. 1 for Jan..and 1 for Feb..that means that this house has been UNDER CONTRACT 3 TIMES in 3 months.

It doesn'nt mean that the house has termites...It just means that 3 people were interested....but didn't buy it.

Something is stopping the transaction...and I need to find it..if I can.

( on very old homes that are WAY UNDER market value.. I will search though the google news archives to see if anyone has put there mouth on the business end of a shot gun...or hung themselves from the balcony)
    Now that is thorough!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: What's the first thing that you look for..please chime in.

I gotta say I look for no information about the house prior to the inspection. All I do is look at it on-line so I have an idea of what to expect and I get directions. Aside from that, I do zero research. My work starts when I get to the house.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I am in the habit of Googling for information on the inspection address.
    For instance:

1. Google all listings.
    2. Google clients names.
    3. Google location - Google maps, satellite, street view.
    4. May use different search terms if I am really determined and go back several pages. Its amazing whats out there...
    Also check MLS numbers.
    Sometimes Court records.

On site I occasionally start a conversation with the neighbours if their out and sometimes you can get some good info. You know the house had a fire, the sellers are splitting up, oh they had the weeping tiles done 20 years ago... Yup always arrive earlier and reconnoiter the situation.

Also I ask how long the house has been on the market. If its been listed for quite awhile its either over priced and/or its overpriced with issues.

Raymond,
    yes.. the neighbors....two days ago I did an inspection where the neighbor told me that the septic tank was under the new back patio...I had a poop company come out... and guess what..they couldn't find the septic tank..They suspected it was under the patio slab.