Default Cryptococcus gatti is deadly

This story was in the news in the late 90's on Vancouver Island, when a few people died. They had all been to the same campsite near Parksville. Scientists are still working on how the fungus, native to Samoa and thereabouts, came to appear in this part of North America. It is a mould or fungus that is found in soil as a rule but can move into a human lung under the right circumstances. The funny thing is, nobody here is hysterical about it. Maybe if it grew on drywall we'd be flipping out more?

Here's a news story about the research going on.

Nanaimo News Bulletin - B.C. scientists to help American researchers study deadly fungus

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell View Post
    Hi John -

Yes - do start a new thread on the Cryptococci - it's a good topic for Home Inspector awareness. HI's may encounter the Cryptococci in a number of scenarios.

CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc. - Home

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Keep it out in the Pacific Northwest!

CDC - Fungal Diseases - C. gattii cryptococcosis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    "C. gattii cryptococcosis is considered to be an emerging infection in the United States and is very rare." from the CDC.

100 diagnosed cases in 7 years almost all in Pacific NW. That's a relief.