Thread: Warm glass

MJ Inspections Guest

Default Warm glass

The glass for the fireplace was very warm and had a "discolor" to it. The discoloration didn't show up in any of my photos . The disoloration I was thinking was from a cleaner (??) but it was in the area of the glass that was very warm.

I was thinking that the pilot light was causing this but I have never experienced this effect before. Has any one else? Any other ideas?

Mark J.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Warm glass

The glass will become discolored or "hazy" as a result of use. These need periodic service/maintenance. Typically, the discoloration will clean off with glass cleaner, but I have heard of extreme cases where the glass has been permanently damaged as a result.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

MJ Inspections Guest

thanks Gunnar.

that's what i was thinking about the discolored glass, but what 's your opinion about the glass being warm when it FP is not on?

Mark

Natural gas will leave residue from sulfur and other components in the gas, some natural some added. The residue will then react with moisture and etch the class. So trying to clean the glass may not remove the discoloration/etching which is now permanent. The glass being warm is just a mater of the heat as a result of the pilot light position, the heat has to go some where. If the pilot was in a different location the warm spot may be in the rear of the fire box.

Look at a gas stove, the pilot will have something that looks like a white dust. That is what may be on the glass.

Warm glass - the pilot light is lit.
    Cold glass - the pilot light is not lit, OR there is an electronic igniter.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

i always state in my report the safety issue with small children in house and how hot that glass gets when lite--if ever there was a code to be rewitten--it should be a child protection screen on fireplace glass

cvf

Grew up with wood heat, never burnt myself, much.

Parents, teach your kids to look after themselves. If you have a toddler, childproof the house for a few months. I get super annoyed with those plugs in the receptacles. Have brain cells died to the point where kids are sticking metal objects into every electrical outlet in the house? Don't answer that.

Always use the correct cleaner to clean the glass of a gas FP. Always let the glass dry completely before relighting. Always read the BOOK that came with the fireplace.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca