Default Leaving equipment

Don't you hate it when you leave equipment at a job that was an hour away. And then the seller calls you that night to tell you. I left my step ladder in his closet. What an idiot. I probably have left several screw drivers over the years in crawls but not a ladder. DUH. I think what got me was that his attic access was a board screwed to his joist. So I had to go get my drill, unscrew it. Do a supper man to get in the 14x14 hole and then re-screw the board. It took me 15 minutes to get the board back on. By the time I did that and collected my jacket from working up a sweat I had taken off, my light camera probe hat and drill and took to the truck, I left the ladder. Stupid. Anyway how many of ya'll have done that?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Leaving equipment

Yep, it happens.... I hate to admit it but I left my laptop and camera on the kitchen counter last year.. Realized it when I pulled up to my next inspection that afternoon. I was lucky that it was only a 10 min drive back to the home and I had the combination code to the lockbox!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Just Friday, I left my boots (for walking in the snow, I take them off when I go into the house). Saturday morning, I drove over to get them.

Many years ago, I left my Little Giant sitting in front of a vacant house on a very busy street, a full hour away. I started the inspection before anyone else arrived. After about fifteen minutes, I called up the agent, who says, "Oh, I forgot to call you, the buyer changed his mind and isn't buying the house". (I didn't know the agent and have never heard from her since) In my agitated state, I stupidly drove off without my ladder.

Five hours later when I realized I didn't have it and drove back, there it stood, right where I left it.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I have to leave today and pick up my moisture meter at noon. The guy's gonna put it in his mailbox for me...

I ve given a lot of free tools to a lot of people..especially flashlights..because when i turn them off I cant see them anymore..out of sight out of mind..

Have left a jacket behind.

Two different occasions - spot light. Neither one was recovered. So I just bought new ones due to distance involved.

Once left my folding ladder behind on the front porch, fortunately the homeowner called to tell me.

Yep, it happens. About the only thing that saves me is routine including a place for everything on my person, tool box, and truck. When I pack up, just a quick scan in the tool box and I spy the empty spot where my screw driver (or what ever) is supposed to reside.
    I even have a special pocket in my jeans for keys to the house. My big forgetful moment is usually discovered when I get home and find a key in the watch pocket of my jeans that is supposed to be empty! That makes for a long day to drive back to the inspection to drop of the key to the Supra box.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    My big forgetful moment is usually discovered when I get home and find a key in the watch pocket of my jeans that is supposed to be empty! That makes for a long day to drive back to the inspection to drop of the key to the Supra box.
    Grrrrr......I've done that too.

I left my 8 in 1 screwdriver somewhere in a large crawlspace two weeks ago. It was a huge crawlspace, so I just bought a new one, but I don't like my new one as much.

All of the above at least once, including walking out with an empty briefcase, but the client saved me "Hey, your laptop".

I used to leave a jacket, often with stuff in the pockets. Now, I keep it with my tool bag or briefcase, never in a closet, never on a hook in the house. Check Inventory.

The funnest one is the cellphone, hey, where's my phone? It's fallen out of a holster in the attic?, or is it the crawlspace?, or one time, fell onto a guy's bicycle and was caught between the spokes, hiding there.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Grrrrr......I've done that too.

I left my 8 in 1 screwdriver somewhere in a large crawlspace two weeks ago. It was a huge crawlspace, so I just bought a new one, but I don't like my new one as much.
    I used to lose tools in the crawlspace all the time until I started taking the tool tray out of a tool box into the crawl with me. I never set anything down unless I put it in the tray. The handle keeps my hand off the ground while crawling over wet or sharp debris. The tray can also be used as a shield or weapon if I run into critters.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Tape measures are my thing to loose. I like to hang them on my pocket and they like to slide off in attics and crawlspaces. For everything else, I have learned there is a place for everything, and everything needs to be in its place before I leave the job site.

Last edited by Charles Wilson; 03-05-2013 at 12:44 PM.

................yesterday's inspection had a basement full of crapola. Set the camera down to respond to a question in another part of the basement, and spent the next 20 minutes looking for the d**n camera........Greg. could be part of the aging process too

IF YOU ARE ALONE...NEVER TAKE YOU CELL PHONE INTO THE ATTIC!!
    I lost my phone in the attic..I had to wave down a passing vehicle and give them 20 bucks to keep calling my number...embarrassing ..yes...but the best 20 bucks i ever spent!
    I'm glad I did not have it turned off.. or on vibrate..

My phone is how I get work..I really need it!

PS ..I took my magnetic signs off the truck to limit my humiliation..

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS KRUSE View Post
    I lost my phone in the attic..I had to wave down a passing vehicle and give them 20 bucks to keep calling my number...embarrassing ..yes...but the best 20 bucks i ever spent!

OMG I have done worse with my phone. I have it fall out off my belt clip alot The velcro flap is worn. Well I got done with an inspection and noticed it was gone. So I thought it had come out of the pouch in the attic. Borrowed the buyers phone and walked all through the attic and yard calling myself for :45 minutes. They even looked for it for me. Could not find it. Got home and there it was in the charger. I had called myself like 150 times.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Been there - done that. Same as you guys; flashlights, tape measures, plug in tester thingy. One time some landscapers snagged my little giant. Does that count?

I wonder if surgeons have an on-line forum? So, I left a sponge in a patient today....what'd you guys leave?

Be well,

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS KRUSE View Post

My cell phone is the one thing I would not go in the attic or crawlspace without...could be the only thing that will get me out if something goes wrong!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Digital thermometers.
    Water pressure gauges.
    Screw drivers.

The worst was when I cleaned my glasses and set them down, then packed up and went to my truck. When I got in I realized I left my glasses in the house. Lucky for me I remembered the upstairs window had a broken latch, so I got my ladder out and crawled into the window, got my glasses and took off again.

Welcome to the club, everyone! I've been inspecting and losing things for more than 45 years. My best retort when I clumsily reclaim something left behind is to sheepishly admit to the finder--"Good thing my head is glued on, or I'd lose that too."

On a similar note, years ago I had my flip phone clipped to my belt. I was inspecting an apartment building and went through the steel hatchway onto the roof. As I exited, I stood on the ladder pulling the steel hatch closed. The darn thing wouldn't close. I repeatedly tried to pull it closed but it just wouldn't shut. As I examined it to determine what the problem was, I saw my phone laying in the channel at the opening rim, crushed. Apparently, I had hooked it on the rim as I went through and pulled it off of my belt.

Amazingly, I could still receive a call, but couldn't make one.

The trick is to make it back to pick up what you left before the seller gets forwarded a copy of your report.

I shouldn't even type this because by tomorrow at this time I'll probably be eating my words but I've never left anything worth going back for at a house. I've left a couple ratty old towels but that's about it.

I have a system that I only set stuff down at one place in the house - usually the kitchen. My laptop, folder/contract, if I take a jacket off it either goes to my truck or at said spot in the kitchen. I have my folding ladder and tools set in bins in the back of my truck like a puzzle and if anything is missing there's a horrible clunk when I take the first corner.

Of coure at 40 years young maybe I can expect to get a bit more forgetful in the future ?

sanjeev supayia Guest

Just Friday, I left my boots (for walking in the snow, I take them off when I go into the house). Saturday morning, I drove over to get them.

Many years ago, I left my Little Giant sitting in front of a vacant house on a very busy street, a full hour away. I started the inspection before anyone else arrived. After about fifteen minutes, I called up the agent, who says, "Oh, I forgot to call you, the buyer changed his mind and isn't buying the house". (I didn't know the agent and have never heard from her since) In my agitated state, I stupidly drove off without my ladder.

Five hours later when I realized I didn't have it and drove back, there it stood, right where I left it.
    Once i left my flashligh in attic
    SmartChoice Home and Mold Inspections Inc
    Brampton Home Inspections Mississauga Home Inspector Toronto - Home

- - - Updated - - -

Once i left my flashligh in attic
    SmartChoice Home & Mold Inspections Inc
    Brampton Home Inspections Mississauga Home Inspector Toronto - Home

Don Burbach Guest

Two weeks ago, I left a brand-new(first time worn) pair of overalls/jumpsuit at an inspection. My car was parked at the back fence. Rather than try to carry everything ay once, I dropped my overalls over the back fence next to where my car was parked and 30 feet from the crawlspace I just exited. I was by myself and gathered up my tools, ladder, light, drove 30 miles, paid a $5 toll and walked in my house. Whoops.... damn, no time to go back, besides the time, the cost of 60 miles of gas( $4/gal) and toll near equal to the cost of the overalls, which barely fit anyway.

My solution to remembering stuff in odd locations or to remember to turn off valves, heaters, or breakers is to leave my keys at the spot that needs the attention. No keys, and the prospect of walking home, helps me to remember my tools or lock-up tasks.

Perhaps the funniest issue was my cell phone left in an attic. I realized I was phone-less at my next inspection and went back to get my phone in the attic. The seller remarked that they heard a phone but couldn't figure out where the ring came from.....

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I think if you don't leave something some time. You're not doing anything.
    Last month I found a screw driver in a crawl space that I left there 4 years ago.
    The local Pest inspector has my binoculars that I left on a job Friday. Hell, I've left it all one time or another.

Sad or funny.

JLMathis