Thread: No Love

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default No Love

An hour into my inspection this morning, I started off in the basement crawlspace. Sometimes crawlspaces are easier to inspect when I lay on my back which is what I did. Not knowing how much crap I had on the back of my vest, I walked around for two more hours like this and neither the buyers nor realtor said anything to me about it.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: No Love

Same thing has happened to me. My cap (I always wear a cap) is festooned with heaps of cobwebs from the basement, or crawl, but no one says a thing. Finally I get a look in the bathroom mirror.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I tend to get soot on my face from the fireplace portion, which is about an hour before I get to the first bathroom. No one ever says a word.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Gotta love them southern girls, there always plucking cobwebs and insulation out of my hair.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

yeah...haha..I was breathing dust..and had white nostills..NOT COOL!...geez LET ME KNOW..

At least you could show proof of doing something in the crawlspace. Need some on the front too so it doesn't look like you were taking a nap. I can't wear a cap in the crawl space, Can't see a thing other than down.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

That's one of the reasons I do crawlspaces last; that and looking around after all the water has been run in the house.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

I have also learned over the years to do the dirty parts last as not to trail crud through the house. Yep, my wife constantly picks small pieces of insulation off my back/shirt. I guess I should think about not tracking crud into my own house! LOL!

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

I used to get dirty when I worked at real jobs.

For the crawl, I squat on my heels until it gets down to 30", then I put on kneepads. If it gets lower than that, I put on rain gear, the full suit, I know, you guys in the hot climates can't do that, but it keeps me clean. In the attic, a ball cap for cobbys and a big pair of work socks, tuck my pant legs ins. Garbage bag on the floor for a clean exit.

Fireplace, I use napkins from the coffee shop or a rubber glove if I can find it quick. Screwdriver or poker but never a bare hand on the damper. I get all the dirty work done first, and clean up the mess before I tour the house with my clients. But yes, I've had cobwebs on me at times. Should bring a plastic spider along for fun some time.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I also always do the crawlspace last (top down) and wear coveralls no matter how hot it is outside in NC. The coveralls, gloves and respirator also give me a false sense of security from copperheads and brown recluse spiders...when I reach daylight again I just take off the gear and don’t feel like I have residual radiation!

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

nick

i always do crawls last because of possible water leaks--remember **** runs down hill--and when i peek in i know what gear i need--attic next to last--dont want to drad those spiders dirt and insulation around house--maybe you should change your order

cvf

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

My inspection order is fine Charlie. I would have gotten dirty either way.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I used to get dirty when I worked at real jobs.

For the crawl, I squat on my heels until it gets down to 30", then I put on kneepads. If it gets lower than that, I put on rain gear, the full suit, I know, you guys in the hot climates can't do that, but it keeps me clean. In the attic, a ball cap for cobbys and a big pair of work socks, tuck my pant legs ins. Garbage bag on the floor for a clean exit.

Fireplace, I use napkins from the coffee shop or a rubber glove if I can find it quick. Screwdriver or poker but never a bare hand on the damper. I get all the dirty work done first, and clean up the mess before I tour the house with my clients. But yes, I've had cobwebs on me at times. Should bring a plastic spider along for fun some time.
    The plastic spider idea is great, I'm looking for one today.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.