Default Please Help - Is This Asbestos Corrgeated HVAC Duct Properly Terminated/Connected

Came accross this. Need to know if this HVAC cardboard corregated asbestos duct is properly terminated/connected to flexible insulated duct. In additon, should this types of corregated asbestos duct be removed inside of walls, and does anyone know the type of asbestos used and if friable? The is an existing residential installation in California done 12 years ago by a licensed HVAC contractor.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Please Help - Is This Asbestos Corrgeated HVAC Duct Properly Terminated/Connected

Before,I would comment on this,I would recommend a sample be taken to verify if it contains asbestos,then recommend some action.

Default Re: Please Help - Is This Asbestos Corrgeated HVAC Duct Properly Terminated/Connected

Thank you for your response. Was told all original (asbestos) ducks in attic were removed and replaced with standard insulated flex ducting, with exception of two vertical risers for bottom floor room registers since they are confined in walls, when HVAC unit was replaced approximately 13 years ago by licensed contractor.

Wife called in a duct cleaning contractor; he said that he could not clean any ducts and that all ducts, including non-asbestos flexible ducts needed to be replaced since the vertical risers looked like they were asbestos nd that the terminations lookd questionable.

He played on my wife's emotions and stated the we can get cancer and get allergies from the remaining asbestos confined ducts in wall, and the existing blown in fiberglass insulation was toxic and needed to be replaced. He could do it all for $7,000.

I have done some research regarding this and believe this person is way over reaching in all regards. I am just not sure about the connection of th existing asbestos vertical risers to flexible duct even thought the was was done by a licensed HVAC contractor.

How old is the house? I have never seen ductwork made from asbestos but I have seen ductwork with an asbestos containing insulation wrap.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

House was built by LLoyds Builders in 1962, Orange County CA. Maybe the cardboard corregate duct is not Asbestos. Now I am not sure. But in any event, I don't understand why this contractor has resorted to scare tatics.

Asbestos can be a litigious issue. I can see why the duct cleaning company was hesitant to do the work. Cleaning the ducts could spread asbestos particles if the joints were not properly sealed/handled. Disturbing them by the aggressive means that they use, with brushes and such, could be problematical. No way to tell without tearing open walls and the actual ducts. Chancy problem. CYA! on their part.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Sure can understand with respect to their CYA and not wanting clean the ducts, but can't comprehend why they said all non-asbestos ducts as well as blown in fiberglass attic insulation needed to be repalced for health reasons.

Moreover, from conducting some research, all government agencies reccomend that asbestos duct is fine if not damaged and should be left in place. I do know the horizontal ducting runs above first floor ceiling are galvanized steel and the ducts in question are two remaining (2) vertical ones.

Nonethless, I still dont know if the original contractor had properly terminated the ridgid coardboard corregated asbestos ducting (if asbestos) to the flexible insulated ducting?

Who to trust?

There are those the feel that fiberglass is just as bad. Any insoluble particulate matter, ingested into the lungs is not a great idea.

877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    There are those the feel that fiberglass is just as bad.
    As bad as asbestos? Who?

Why do you have a link to profit clicking.com?

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Anything ingested in the lungs is not good and it's not like we are holding parties in the attick. Nonetheless ..... any comment regarding original post/questions? Who to trust??

If the connection was not properly terminated, asbestos could be getting into the air stream and getting distributed throughout the house. No way to tell without testing. If only in the attic it is in an area of little or no traffic and not that much of an issue. Inside the ducts is a different story.

Just because the work was done by a "Licensed Contractor" does not assure you that it was done properly. Much of what we find as Inspectors was done by a licensed contractor cutting corners.

Here in California, there is a special section of any contractor's license test that addresses asbestos, how to handle it if it's less than so many square feet and who needs to handle it (certified abatement contractor) if over that.

The duct cleaning guy may have overstepped his bounds trying to make a sale but there is some justification for caution.

877-466-8504

The fact that this contractor said you should remove the fiberglass insulation says that he is an untrustworthy hack. "...existing blown in fiberglass insulation was toxic and needed to be replaced."

Dismiss this goof and get advice elsewhere.

If asbestos concerns you, have someone competent test the air passing through your ducts to see if there is any asbestos, preferably someone who tests but doesn't provide remediation. If there is none, forget about it and get on with your life.

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Gotta agree with that. Test and service it as needed. It's a waste of time to speculate without testing for confirmation

Rod Corwin Guest

In NY air testers have to be seperate from asbestos removal companies. The contractor appears to be speculating that the asbestos duct work has contaminated the non asbestos ducts and the fiberglass insulation. It may or may not have. Usually, from my experience, the asbestos is on the outside of the duct as an insulater and internally is not asbestos.

Out of interest and further to fibreglass being toxic, I don't know about it being toxic but there is concern about it being carcinogenic ...

ATSDR - Technical Briefing Paper: Health Effects from Exposure to Fibrous Glass, Rock Wool, or Slag Wool

Fiberglass - American Lung Association

Just so we are clear, yes, Fiberglass dust is an irritant to the lungs but the fibers are not likely to stay lodged there forever. You cough and you spit it out.

The fibers from asbestos are microscopic double-pointed needles. These fibers get lodged in lung tissue and are not washed out by the cilia in the lungs. We all have some in our systems, mostly from road dust.

IF there is asbestos in the duct system, it will be in all the ducts, of course. All the ductwork needs to be replaced, because cleaning would be expensive and indefinite.

Asbestos in the fiberglass insulation is not likely to be a threat to the inhabitants - minor amount, not in the living space.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca