Default No main disconnect

Inspected a apartment "condo" that had no disconnect in the residence or one for the individual unit. The condo has its own meter and the panel is in the laundry room. there are 10 circuits in the box. Should this panel have a main disconnect? or is this requirement satisfied by having a disconnect for the entire building since the panel has more than 6 breakers. Any advise/recommendation would be most appreciate. Thank you all in advance for you help

100_0639.JPGmain for build.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com

sanjeev supayia Guest

Default Re: No main disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by fidel gonzales View Post
    Inspected a apartment "condo" that had no disconnect in the residence or one for the individual unit. The condo has its own meter and the panel is in the laundry room. there are 10 circuits in the box. Should this panel have a main disconnect? or is this requirement satisfied by having a disconnect for the entire building since the panel has more than 6 breakers. Any advise/recommendation would be most appreciate. Thank you all in advance for you help

100_0639.JPGmain for build.jpg
    I never seen main disconnect at condo units electrical panel.
    SmartChoice Home and Mold Inspections
    Brampton Home Inspections Mississauga Home Inspector Toronto - Home

It must have its own main disconnect whether at the meter on the outside or at the service panel on the inside.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Those look like meter mains to me I see 3 in the second photo), so there would be disc just below the meter(s). Is the meter room/area OR the electrical distribution room elsewhere (for main power feeder to unit) accessible to the occupant (key to room/area or unlocked), or is the bldg under continuous, attended, 24/7 supervision? The switchgear should be field labeled.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    ... panel requiring a 4 conductor feeder.
    And the metal conduit (if it is metal) can serve as the grounding conductor from the panel in the condo to the condo main disconnect (which is most likely not service equipment equipment as there is that one large service disconnect present - would need more information that is given to address that aspect)

As Watson pointed out, the mains at the condo main disconnects (which are likely not service disconnects) should be labeled with the condo addresses, unit numbers, or some other readily recognizable method so a person would know which main disconnect was for which condo.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    And the metal conduit (if it is metal) can serve as the grounding conductor from the panel in the condo to the condo main disconnect (which is most likely not service equipment equipment as there is that one large service disconnect present - would need more information that is given to address that aspect)

As Watson pointed out, the mains at the condo main disconnects (which are likely not service disconnects) should be labeled with the condo addresses, unit numbers, or some other readily recognizable method so a person would know which main disconnect was for which condo.
    Hey Guys I wanted to say a BIG Thanks to all you for your help and advise. I now got the big picture on what to tell my client. Happy inspecting to all. Regards Fidel from Illinois

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com