Default How to deal with the media

How not to conduct or react to media interviews.

Grow Op Cover Up | Marketplace

At 15 and 20 minutes into the segment watch how the President of OAHI handles the interview, more importantly does not handle the interview.

Facial expressions, body language, reaction, inflection/tone of voice,

Then 17 minutes into the segment they interview the inspector in B.C. Watch how he handles the interview! Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I suggest you all read this document, 'Handling the media.' There is very important info how to conduct interviews or request for information from the media at the link below.

http://www.civicus.org/new/media/Han...he%20Media.pdf

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: How to deal with the media

Interesting stuff. Not many folks really know how to handle an adversarial interview. While I am pretty quick on my feet, I don't know how well I'd do either. On the other hand, I agree, that these guys were terrible in their interviews.

In this case, the HIs certainly seem rather dodgy. The hole in the fireplace might not scream "grow op" to me, but sure as hell would have been a huge red flag issue. The only grow op that I've ever seen wasn't as elaborate as this one.

And how did these guys miss and/or misinterpret the mold in the attic? Sheesh......

But the pay off of getting to see Mike Holmes rant about incompetent home inspectors makes it all worth the 22 minutes. NOT!!!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Mike is a hypocrite. Has no accreditations and bitches about the inspectors missing obvious grow op signs, but the inspectors he subcontracts for his Holmes inspection are from the same association (OAHI) he is complaining about. Mike likes to have his cake and eat it too!

He is pompous and sanctimonious arse.

Stephen G Guest

Yeah that was a bad day for the assoc...media trg shoulda been given in advance....and....know that when a films crew shows up, you better get good...they were ambushed....the crew was there for a long time...he coulda put an end to it...lesson learned....maybe...
    i don't even like his TV show, but must watch it, cuz it comes up within the first ten minutes....I always mention watching it and leave it at that....
    I am not a media guy, I hide from cameras, they do and don't want my words....cuz I will say the the truth and someone will take offence to me telling the truth....

Stephen

Don't be surprised if the media comes knocking again on OAHI's door.

Stephen G Guest

Hey Ray, with all the licensing talk and the fiberals creating that money making machine called the College of Trades......they would love to have us get licensed just for the money...and they seem to need lots more than we are giving them?????

One more thing that I wonder about.........I'll bet a dozen donuts (cuz I think Mike has about that many with his coffee in the morning) that he knew he was walking into a former grow op, but the four inspectors (five counting the first one didn't). It makes 'ol Mike look pretty darn good being tipped off on what to look for. I always shine when I know about a big concern before I get there.

Not that that excuses the other five for some of the things they failed to catch or appropriately comment on.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Stephen G Guest

Spot on Lon...the other " inspectors' were all fly by nite guys. Not registered or even nacho...and Mike woulda had the Coles notes...

i remind my clients that he is an actor on a TV show....the producers have dozens of hours in the place before baby face shows up....hell, I could do is job....would love the money...

Actually those four inspectors where from OAHI.
    Thats why they went to OAHI for the interview.

Fwiw, Mike also uses inspectors from Nachi.

Some inspectors he uses have multiple memberships.

Mike Holmes Inspections | Approved Inspectors

Are members of a major associations, such as the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI), the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) and the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI)

The associations should have got off their collective arses and dealt with this bullshit artist when he first started pontificating and knocking the industry. Instead they've done nothing and this fraud artist is making lots of money off mocking the industry he sucks the teat of.

Stephen G Guest

Sorry Ray, they were not...we did the damage control. Not one was from OAHI...the,media claimed that they were from the assoc...being the target of choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Actually those four inspectors where from OAHI.
    Thats why they went to OAHI for the interview.

Fwiw, Mike also uses inspectors from Nachi.

Some inspectors he uses have multiple memberships.

Mike Holmes Inspections | Approved Inspectors

Are members of a major associations, such as the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI), the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) and the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI)

The associations should have got off their collective arses and dealt with this bullshit artist when he first started pontificating and knocking the industry. Instead they've done nothing and this fraud artist is making lots of money off mocking the industry he suck the teat of.
    - - - Updated - - -

Oh but they fell I n love with him...just too bad that we have to put up with all the fall out, yet when he tells everyone that a home insp should cost about 1000 bucks, nobody was listening..how come I can't raise my prices ...lol

Thats not what I was told and I know for a fact the one who claimed to be P.Eng was a RHI.

Stephen G Guest

Only go on what the head office tells us outside the GTA...there is always more to the story...and it's human nature to re direct blame or deny shi-...
    they sent the email denouncing the assoc had any part in part in....

- - - Updated - - -

I have met a Peng who claim that, one handed me his business card while I was on my WETT course in Kingston, RHI, then he said he has yet to do any inspection?????

people say all sorts of things...

Personally Stephan I would not put much faith in what OAHI says.

Did you get the email Glen Gogal said he'd send out to the members?

Recently I complained to OAHI about a former member misusing the OAHI logo and RHI and another who is in the retired category not placing 'retired' under the logo as required in the bylaws.

I got a reply back from the DPPC informing me to contact the offenders! What? That is not my job that is the job of the DPPC as enacted under Pr 158 and the bylaws and policy and procedure manual. Telling me to deal with the offenders was a brush off and its equivalent of the police telling a victim of crime to go confront the offender.

If I get that sort of reply as a member of the public what is OAHI about and why is it disinterested?

Then there was the time the COO officer was quoted in the press that OAHI licenced inspectors, OAHI didn't even bother issuing a press release to correct. Talk about misleading the public.

I know you are relatively new to OAHI but there is a litany of wrongs within OAHI and I know the ministry is getting an earful because there are a lot of people fed up with what goes on.

The industry has a lot of growing up to do and that might be why there is a hue and cry for licencing.

Not trying to bust your balls but you have to know the history of what went on and goes on.

I am also not suggesting other associations don't have problems either, but they all need to pull up their collective socks if they want to be seen as professional.

Another worthwhile read from an Ontario POV

Green Tide: Indoor Marihuana Cultivation and It's Impact On Ontario

http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/Repos...0/10317711.pdf

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 03-14-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    Since this new Consulting Association is truly at ARMS LENGTH the first thing they will have as a task is to sort through all the BS about what Association should have control of the Industry in Ontario. The simple answer to that is as Raymond says the Associations with the least amount of problems and truly cares about the Home Inspectors and Consumers. One thing I know they certainly are looking for is a NOT FOR PROFIT, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC and backed by a Association well respected among Professionals, at least that is the sense I got during the OntarioAchi Interview.
    Well that pretty much sums up every H.I. association in Ontario. Not for profit does not mean they cannot make money.

"A non-profit corporation is a legal entity separate from its members and directors formed for purposes other than generating a profit to be distributed to its members, directors or officers. While, a non-profit corporation can earn a profit, the profit must be used to further the goals of the corporation rather than to pay dividends to its membership."

Nobody knows for sure what criteria will be used BIG IF licensing comes to home inspectors in Ontario. The rationale of who seemed polar opposites for BC and Alberta. The only thing in common seemed to be for consumer protection.

I really don't think this about what association will control Ontario, I believe it will be about what association models (more than one) would seem best for consumers, and satisfy "reasonable" regulation without detrimentally impacting too many inspectors. BC and Alberta recognizes more than one association as an example.