Default Re: Illuminated Concrete

Very neat!

I wonder how the strength of the concrete is affected? Weaker? Or possibly even stronger like fiber-reinforced concrete?

Is there a moisture intrusion path in around the fibers?

And more ponderables ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Major bridges carrying vehicles are built around the world [including USA] with spans containing NO rebar. Google "DUCTAL concrete bridge". These bridges use steel fibers.

LED concrete - stronger or weaker - depends on the application. If LEDs were only embedded on one side, and the remaining concrete was properly engineered for the structural application; no problem [even LEDs on two sides with structural concrete sandwiched for the application].

"Moisture intrusion path" - all concrete is a ***galaxy of moisture intrusion***. The LEDs would probably not be an addition to the existing problem. For example: Xypex is an excellent product; used world wide in billion dollar dam and waterfront projects. If used properly Xypex stops water, but I do not believe that even Xypex makes a claim of stopping all water VAPOR [also other chemical vapors] . Therefore GREEN REBAR [epoxy-coated reinforcing bar (ECR)] is necessary in some projects - maybe you have seen this on new or rehab highway/bridge projects. That is epoxy rebar. Precautions/additives in the concrete mix can never properly protect the rebar from corrosion, therefore the projects fail only because of the rebar rusting and/or corroding away. The Green Rebar is the best way to get the proper life span [concrete recipe must still be correct].

Please note: I have no building/construction industry affiliation. I am a homeowner who loves this site, and who never sees a house built correctly; especially the foundation. Home Owners / Designers / Architects put 99% of their thought into paint colors and Less than 1% [optimistic #] into the foundation [the # is probably Zero].
    Great Site,
    David.
    PS: "all concrete is a ***galaxy of moisture intrusion***" is my writing; it is not a quote from a book.

***galaxy of moisture intrusion***"
    A poet's stab at hygroscopic?

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    A poet's stab at hygroscopic?
    I like that thought pattern, but actually it was along a different line.
    For example: consider the expanded carbon filtration media used in water and air filtration. Take just 1 gram [0.036 ounce] of expanded carbon and theoretically open up all the pores in the carbon across a flat surface. The internal area of those pores in one gram would cover the surface of a Football Field. Different concrete mixes with different mixing and placement techniques have varying level of pores for migration, but it is still a phenomenal amount of pores for moisture.
    Best to you,
    David.