Facilities Guest

Default Moving circuit breakers in the panel box

I have to move 2 circuit breakers in my panel box, the wires are to short now is it ok to extend the wire of the same gauge of coarse and wire nut them.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Moving circuit breakers in the panel box

Quote Originally Posted by Facilities View Post
    I have to move 2 circuit breakers in my panel box, the wires are to short now is it ok to extend the wire of the same gauge of coarse and wire nut them.
    Yes but make sure you use pliers to put at least 3 full twists in the wire ends before capping.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Facilities Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Yes but make sure you use pliers to put at least 3 full twists in the wire ends before capping.
    Thanks for the info., will it pass the electrical inspection here in NY

Your questions should really be asked to the electrical inspector that is going to approve or reject the job. Asking here really has no bearing on if it will get approved or not.

Thanks for the info., will it pass the electrical inspection here in NY
    Unless the local jurisdiction has a written approved admendment to the electrical code , it should pass inspection. There is nothing in the electrical code to prohibit splicing conductors in a panel.

You don't need to pre-twist the wires unless the manufacturer of the wire nuts states that it is necessary. Most wire nut manufacturers will state the proper installation of their products. For example, Ideal states you do not need to pre-twist them, however when twisting on the nut you keep twisting until three twists are visible below the skirt. I have yet to find a wire nut manufacturer that requires pre-twisting. Furthermore, I've found that pre-twisting can often be detrimental, as the cap sometimes isn't able to be secured properly and becomes dislodged, leaving live voltage available for the next guy to discover.

Facilities Guest

Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    Unless the local jurisdiction has a written approved admendment to the electrical code , it should pass inspection. There is nothing in the electrical code to prohibit splicing conductors in a panel.
    Thanks fo the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    You don't need to pre-twist the wires unless the manufacturer of the wire nuts states that it is necessary. Most wire nut manufacturers will state the proper installation of their products. For example, Ideal states you do not need to pre-twist them, however when twisting on the nut you keep twisting until three twists are visible below the skirt. I have yet to find a wire nut manufacturer that requires pre-twisting. Furthermore, I've found that pre-twisting can often be detrimental, as the cap sometimes isn't able to be secured properly and becomes dislodged, leaving live voltage available for the next guy to discover.
    Thanks for the info.

Reminds me of a recent thread where everyone seemed to decry the messy wire installation of most electricians. Noting that the excess wire was not necessary, and even indicated poor workmanship. Included a picture of a beautiful installation with short precisely bent wires just long enough to reach the intended breaker.
    Those of us who work in the real world realize that this precision usually leads to the problem stated in this thread, not enough wire to move a breaker. Thankfully, the NEC does allow for splices in boxes and panels. What a hassel if it did not.

Not only is pre-twist not necessary, (they will twist up as the wirenut is screwed on) but pre-twist & over twisting can cause one wire to actually break, seen it/done it.
    The pre-twisting is a throw back from the days of knob & tube with solder/tape.

Yes you can wire nut extensions in the main panel box

Daniel Mack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    This is true but you must allow for the conditions of NEC 312.8. If splices or taps are necessary, no more than 75% of the cross section of the wiring space may be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    If you pre-twist with a right-hand twist and trim the ends of the wires there won't be a problem getting a wire not to go on if it is the right size. I have seen plenty of bad wire-nut only splices. The splices made by experienced electricians, at least in this area, are ALWAYS pre-twisted. Go by the manufacturer's info? Kind of like using the cheater holes on the back of receptacles and switches? The connections that end up bad or intermittent?

That's okay - I'll do it my way and you do it yours.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA