Default Re: An "interesting" article on three phase residential power

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    What is Three-Phase House Wiring? | Dexknows.com
    Give this one a read when you have a minute...
    If it's on the internet, it must be true

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    What is Three-Phase House Wiring? | Dexknows.com
    Give this one a read when you have a minute...
    Rudimentary, only discussing "high leg" or "wild leg" Delta, not Wye, but otherwise caught nothing glaringly incorrect or 'interesting' ... PolyPhase distribution, step down, service, load side, wye-wye vs. wye-delta step down for unbalanced, demand not continuous type use for the res. type occupancies.

Is it the "idea" that large, or rural, property overall might have been provided with other than lower voltage single phase service for residential incidental use, what is questioned, or "interesting" (Co-OPs and local gov owned for PoCos are still around)?

Because for what its worth, it is actually not THAT unusual, esp. in certain parts of the country, to have polyphase service to a larger other than "residential" primarily, property, and depending on the size and vintage of the property, esp. if rural, agricultural, or remote, or in older areas more concentrated with mixed zoning, larger multi-family, etc., other than single phase "service" (although Wye - Wye more common in new installations than Wye-Delta) - it depends.

Might have a host of single phase resistance heaters, straight single phase motors, refrigeration, such as agricultral, irrigation, ranching, farming, production, seasonal worker accomodtions, and/or multiple residences for year round among scores, if not hundreds (or more) acres...

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    If it's on the internet, it must be true

It was more about getting a hit on a search (advertising) than actually saying something really informative. In fact the article actually fails to successfully describe/explain the use/purpose of the third phase. It also leaves the impression that 240v is not available when you have single phase (2 legs). Not to mention the referencing flow of the electric to the appliances.

There are far better explanations out there. Sorry, this article is a wast of the readers time, could not would not recommend it.

It looks like something written by a computer.
    To install 3-phase in your home use these tools, what?

"Three-phase wiring systems connected to a power grid from a power company are used to power your plumbing system, telecommunication equipment, antenna wiring and grounding electrodes around your property".

I can't wait to fly at 'er this weekend.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Wow that was written by "DexKnows". Dex doesn't know much.

Around here unless you live along a main road you wouldn't even have 3Ø power on the pole in front of your house. Even if you did the POCO would almost never provide 3Ø power to a single family dwelling.
    You might find it difficult to get 240 volts as well!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I always find it interesting that material such as this gets posted to sites without an authors name attached, along with education, experience and so forth but is still considered credible. As someone pointed out, people will believe it since it's posted on the internet. While I didn't really have to many issues with the info in the article, the context in which it was taken was a problem.
    A client steered me toward this article saying that he has been told that having his home switched to 3 phase service would save him a ton of money on his utility bills. I had a hard time convincing him that at least some of the info he received was not quite what he had been told. After a call to the POCO he finally admitted that perhaps he had been led down the path...

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

As time goes by there will be more and more sites like this trying to generate income off poor or incorrect information. People will perform a search and stumble into this site and think that it really says something (something like politicians ) When in fact it is only there to solicit advertising. But it is the internet and anything goes..... especially when people are payed by the "click"....

Daniel Mack Guest

This is why more and more I turn to forums where professionals are quick to shoot down anything less than accurate. One of the best on anything electrical is Mike Holt Forum. I think this IN forum is excellent and issues are professionally explained. I appreciate all of your input.