Andrew Kling Guest

Default New in Bristol, PA.

I'm going to try out being a home inspector. I have past experience as a handyman, contractor, etc. Typical experience I think.

I'm taking a AHIT classroom course in the next 2 weeks, then joining one for the 3 or so home inspection organizations.

I've already got a business name figured out, haven't incorporated as of yet, I still need to decide what type of business would benefit me in my area.

I've looked into other course in my area, certifications to get, equipment to buy, etc. I'm on here looking for suggestions from my more knowledgeable peers that already have years or experience in the business.

Andrew

OREP Insurance

Thumbs up Re: New in Bristol, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kling View Post
    I've looked into other course in my area, certifications to get, equipment to buy, etc. I'm on here looking for suggestions from my more knowledgeable peers that already have years or experience in the business.

Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

Welcome to InspectionNews!

Atlantic City is not to far from you and on April 22nd we (InspectionNews and Casey, O'Malley Associates) will be hosting our 20th year anniversary Inspection Conference there.

I highly recommend that you come down not only for the educational classes but also to meet hundreds of home inspectors that can really help you get off on the right foot.

You can find out more about it at: 2013 Atlantic City Inspection Conference
    and WHEN you register use your InspectionNews Member Discount Code: IN-GIFT
    to get an additional 20% off.

I hope you can make it.

A couple other of my products/services that I will recommend are:

The Cost Of Business: (learn how to properly calculate your inspection fees)

Inspection Referral System: (a way to stay in touch with your clients and prospects in a way that you will be remembered)

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Andrew Kling Guest

Default Re: New in Bristol, PA.

You are correct, Atlantic City isn't that far from me. And I've looked at the conference and the website of the producers. But Honestly I don't see the value of the continuing education credits. I'm just starting out, so they aren't of much value to me. The other problem I'm having is that I'm available only monday and wednesday of that week, to go on tuesday would require me completely rearranging my schedule.

I also looked into the radon course that is offered, but eventhough it says it is allowed to be used for the PA state radon cert, and they informed me otherwise, which honestly has me leary of what other things on the website are wrong. So basically I'm still mulling it over.

You are correct, Atlantic City isn't that far from me. And I've looked at the conference and the website of the producers. But Honestly I don't see the value of the continuing education credits. I'm just starting out, so they aren't of much value to me. The other problem I'm having is that I'm available only monday and wednesday of that week, to go on tuesday would require me completely rearranging my schedule.

I also looked into the radon course that is offered, but eventhough it says it is allowed to be used for the PA state radon cert, and they informed me otherwise, which honestly has me leary of what other things on the website are wrong. So basically I'm still mulling it over.
    Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you took a look at the conference.

The value of the CEC (starting out or established) is the education you get. The byproduct is that many states and all associations requires them.

The other valuable aspect of attending a conference is being with, talking to and learning from other inspectors and their everyday experiences.

Every inspector has to arrange their schedule for education. It's just part of the business. There are one day classes however that is a long trip for one day or you can arrange one day off in your schedule and be there for the full 3 day conference. That is a business decision that you will have to make.

The Radon Class is being taught by Radalink and I will follow up with more details. What we have posted right now is: This 16 hour class meets entry level requirements for all state licensing programs as well as the two national certification programs: NEHA National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP) National Radon Safety Board (NRSB). I will see if I can get you specific PA information. Also, if you have information that states otherwise please send that to me.

>which honestly has me leary of what other things on the website are wrong.

This is out 20th year anniversary. We wouldn't still be here if it was not top notch education and respect from the rest of the Inspection Community.

I look forward to meeting you at the conference.

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Thumbs up Re: New in Bristol, PA.

Hi Andrew,

I just wanted to follow up with the confirmation about the PA Radon Certification.

"As of 2013 PA-DEP stopped approving classes just for PA and now accepts the NRPP and NRSB programs classes for both initial and CE, which Radalink’s classes are also approved.
    So nothing has changed and it is accepted in PA."

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Andrew Kling Guest

Ok, I talked with the girl in harrisburg, that is in charge of the testing for the state of PA. She told me that Radalink's classes aren't approved, that they failed to refile last year for approval of their classes with the state of pennsylvania or something. It's fine though, like I stated I'm going to just drive down for a day, check out the vendors then drive back up. Just starting out, more education is a nice to have, but I don't need the CE credits when I'm not already certified. I'm actually attending my AHIT Live classroom training on that weekend, friday, saturday and sunday. So the training on thursday and friday wouldn't work for me anyhow.

If I can work something out with my wife, so she or my mother can watch my child on tuesday of that week. Maybe I will spend the money and go down for the 3 days, and attend some of the classes, but just not get the credits.

I do appreciate your sending me the info.

Do you have the conference in Atlantic City every year then? Or where will it be held next year?

Andrew

Ok, I talked with the girl in harrisburg, that is in charge of the testing for the state of PA. She told me that Radalink's classes aren't approved, that they failed to refile last year for approval of their classes with the state of pennsylvania or something.
    Hi Andrew,

Your girl in Harrisburg is not up to date on her facts.

Attached is the letter directly from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Bureau of Radiation Protection. After reading the letter you can then look up Radalink as an approved trainer at either www.Radongas.org (NRPP) or www.NRSB.org and click on training classes.

Attached Files Attached Files

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan