Default Where the combustion air come from?

the laundry room I inspect is 7x7x8 size, has a window but usually closed and door without any vent opening.
    There are one 38000 BTU water heater & gas dryer & washer in this room
    Is there any formula about room size vs BTU ?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Where the combustion air come from?

If you have less than 50 cubic feet of space per 1,000 BTU combined input, then you need additional combustion and makeup air.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

water heater unless it is electric, should not be in the laundry room. The dryer can pull the flame out of the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Im View Post
    the laundry room I inspect is 7x7x8 size, has a window but usually closed and door without any vent opening.
    There are one 38000 BTU water heater & gas dryer & washer in this room
    Is there any formula about room size vs BTU ?
    If this is a serious question, you aren't ready to be getting paid to do inspections for people. If this was a test or sample inspection, no problem. The combustion air requirements are pretty straight forwards and pretty basic stuff, and you should know that stuff before going out there and starting up an inspection business.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

The answer to your question is yes there is a formula. I would also suggest, assuming you do not already have it, a copy of Code Check Complete. Keep it with you when you do the inspections and get ready to write the reports. As someone told me years ago, the secret is not memorizing formulas and figures, the key is knowing where to find them and how to use them correctly.

you 're right,,, but I knew the formula is exist. I only don't remember the numbers.
    Anyway, I think the gas dryer is not included to BTU calculations, so I don't concern the dryer's BTU
    Am I wrong?
    water heater can not be in laundry room? even if there is enough combustion air supply?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    water heater unless it is electric, should not be in the laundry room.
    Wayne, do you have a reference for this statement? Sounds like a myth.

It's true a gas dryer can adversely affect the venting operation of a non-direct vent gas water heater (or furnace) but I've never seen that they can't be in the same room.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Im View Post
    Anyway, I think the gas dryer is not included to BTU calculations, so I don't concern the dryer's BTU
    Am I wrong?
    Yes, you are wrong. You need to beef up on this stuff. It could save a person's life.

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/