Thread: gas meters

brianmiller Guest

Default gas meters

Do you all note in your report rust on gas meters? Do you inspect gas meters?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by brianmiller; 07-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: gas meters

I do not "Inspect" gas meters. If I see a hazard I will report it.
    Rust (as pictured) is not a concern to me.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I note their location (required under SoP's) but rust like that is a non issue.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Nope - I'm too busy looking at more important stuff. If I find a gas leak I call the gas company right then and there - they come out immediately and fix it and then it's a non-issue.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Cool Re: gas meters or crash meters

The gas meter brackets are missing on most newly sided homes. Our local gas company will reattach the bracket and secure it to the building for free. Some areas around gas meters are high traffic for lawn mowers and kids. Adding some sort of barrier to prevent collisions can be recommended. Frequently vegetation is allowed to completely engulf the meter. This condition can restrict the venting capabilities of the meter unit and encourages snow buildup around the meter in the winter months further complicating the meter's function. Gas meters shall be supported or connected to rigid piping so as not to exert a strain on meters. Where flexible connectors are used to connect a gas meter to down stream piping at mobile homes in mobile home parks, the meter shall be supported by a post or bracket placed in a firm footing or by other means providing equivalent support. The brackets holding the gas meter to the home are missing. Gas meters shall be supported or connected to rigid piping so as not to exert a strain on meters. Recommend installing support brackets by a qualified technician and calling local gas company for installation requirements.

Last edited by HENREY JETTY; 03-25-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    I always call out rusted pipe on the house side of meter

Last edited by Donal Hughes; 03-26-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Hi, ALL &

I have to agree with Donald = I always "call it", as it will only get worse with time & worse with time; my original Instructor /Mentor revealed that as a "call" over a decade ago..

Cheers !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Not wanting to argue with you guys ( Glenn and Donal), but why do you think the OP Photo is a concern?
    What are the consequences if left as is and unreported?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Not wanting to argue with you guys ( Glenn and Donal), but why do you think the OP Photo is a concern?
    What are the consequences if left as is and unreported?
    Actually I think the OP photo is fine; very minor rust at the Utility owned meter accentuated by the white paint (this is why its not a good idea to paint wrought iron fencing white).
    I would be more concerned with the rust on the unpainted house pipe in the attached photo. Recommend wirebrush and paint.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images