RyanDon Guest

Default Bathroom Receptacles & minimum requirements.

Hello all,

I'm wiring up two bathrooms with ONE 20A GFCI circuit dedicated to receptacles only - no lamps. What I'm unsure about however is the two foot rule for walls. That is, code requires any wall that is two feet or more to have a receptacle. I get the 36" receptacle rule by the sink basin edges, but does every wall require a receptacle - just like in the rest of the house?

Or as long as I have GFCI's on a dedicated receptacle circuit by the sink basins, am I OK and can forgo putting them on other walls? These are fairly small baths, but the other walls are indeed at least 2' or more.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Bathroom Receptacles & minimum requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Ryan is this a DIY question?
    I suspect it is, he needs to post it on a DIY web site, or even better, on an electricians web site.

We do not want to be the ones to tell him how to install the wiring.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

RyanDon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I suspect it is, he needs to post it on a DIY web site, or even better, on an electricians web site.

We do not want to be the ones to tell him how to install the wiring.
    Sorry guys. I guess "yes" it is. I'm using an electrician on this job. I'll pull the wire, but he'd splice and determine final wiring. But I'm in the process of drafting circuit maps and calculating loads. And with that in mind, I was trying to figure this out so that when I go over the list with the electrician, we don't waste time.

I'm surprised the different books I'm reading on this are completely silent as to such a basic point.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanDon View Post
    Sorry guys. I guess "yes" it is. I'm using an electrician on this job. I'll pull the wire, but he'd splice and determine final wiring. But I'm in the process of drafting circuit maps and calculating loads. And with that in mind, I was trying to figure this out so that when I go over the list with the electrician, we don't waste time.

I'm surprised the different books I'm reading on this are completely silent as to such a basic point.
    Unless you want to totally screw up the chain of responsibility ... have the electrician design the wiring circuits - you pull the wire if that is your arrangement with him - then he checks *your work* done under *his guidance* ... not under anyone else's guidance.

Who is pulling the permit, you or the electrician? If your name is on the permit then *you* are "the contractor of record" and *you* have assumed *all* liability for the work.

People who pull their own work and then piece the work back-and-forth with a contractor (hopefully a licensed contractor) never realize the liability they assume in order to save a couple of dollars, their insurance company will advise them when something happens - usually this is done by denying the claim for damages resulting from the work.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

RyanDon Guest

No, he'll be pulling them. I've worked with these folks before and am familiar with load analysis and mapping. He will indeed be responsible for everything, but my normal approach is to give him material up front and he can then 'yeah' or 'nay' it. I've found that for folks who are informed and detailed oriented, a draft of something up front is a lot better than winging it or informally walking through and saying "put a box here, there, etc."

If I can't get an answer on another site, I'll just defer to him on it. No biggie. Everything is on paper before anything goes in the wall. That's how we roll to avoid the very problems you mention.

If there's a new subdivision somewhere in your area, go to an open house, check out the wiring. Just a thought.

In my country you don't install receptacles on the wall opposite the sink. The receptacles can go either side of the sink. Picture electric toothbrushes being charged, blow dryers, etc. A small bathroom here will have just one receptacle. But we uses CEC rules, different.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

They have gotten answers on another site.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

.........in post #4 the OP is pulling wire, but in post #6 he's not pulling wire?..........Greg

Daniel Mack Guest

NEC 210.52 D

Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin.

No, additional receptacles, according to the NEC, are not required. One outlet properly placed and protected, and on a dedicated circuit, satisfies the spacing code.

RyanDon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Mack View Post
    NEC 210.52 D

Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin.

No, additional receptacles, according to the NEC, are not required. One outlet properly placed and protected, and on a dedicated circuit, satisfies the spacing code.
    Daniel - thanks. Yes, confirmed with electrician yesterday. Not considered a living space so that's why the 2' rule doesn't apply. Greg, pulling wire and pulling permits, 2 different things.

THanks all.

Daniel Mack Guest

Daniel - thanks. Yes, confirmed with electrician yesterday. Not considered a living space so that's why the 2' rule doesn't apply. Greg, pulling wire and pulling permits, 2 different things.

THanks all.

Well, Sir, just for clarification, it has nothing to do with a living space and everything to do with the definition of "bathroom" from article 100 of the NEC. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    .........in post #4 the OP is pulling wire, but in post #6 he's not pulling wire?..........Greg
    ........I gotcha-thanks, Greg

This thread should have been concluded with J.P.'s post.... just saying. (what happened to the wink icon? [me favorite]).

No, he'll be pulling them. I've worked with these folks before and am familiar with load analysis and mapping. He will indeed be responsible for everything, but my normal approach is to give him material up front and he can then 'yeah' or 'nay' it. I've found that for folks who are informed and detailed oriented, a draft of something up front is a lot better than winging it or informally walking through and saying "put a box here, there, etc."
    And you find this somehow saves you money and/or time?????

You'd never in a million years get me to agree to such a warped situation. I am responsible for the work I do, not the work others do.
    Doing what you are doing you are 75% of the way there. Why not just do the whole job???

Is this guy your bother-in-law?