John Wannecke Guest

Default Hello fron Yellowknife, arctic Canada

I am new to the forum and just found this page by accident. Hope to make many new friends here, share stories, and most importantly, join the vast resource of knowledge. I have my own business and cannot complain about a bad start - CHI started out in April last year. This is going to be an awesome year!!!
    John

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Hello fron Yellowknife, arctic Canada

Hello. I'm guessing that super cold country like Yellowknife has some special issues to consider on inspections.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

John Wannecke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Hello. I'm guessing that super cold country like Yellowknife has some special issues to consider on inspections.
    I suppose. I have been up here for the last 18 years and call this "normal" for us. We certainly have different issues like unique cold air intakes for furnace rooms, a lot more frost action on foundations, and also some different building styles. You would see a lot of variety in the way houses are built and maintained. The city is desperate for people who like to do code inspections - but even if you wanted to do it.... what code would apply for permafrost regions that use the national building code? I just go with the basics that apply and focus on safety.

How about you? I am in Yellowknife.

John

Here in the Denver metro area and eastern plains of Colorado, it can certainly get cold. At my house we hit -20F once or twice most winters. Friday we were in the high 50s and -5 Sunday morning. But, we have normal northern clime construction. Permafrost and weeks below zero (F) aren't a concern. As I write this, it's a white world outside my window, but the snow will be mostly gone by Thursday.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Your talk about weather makes me love my home in Capistrano Beach (so California) even more. If it dips down into the 50s I think I'm going to freeze.

Of course the nice weather is offset by the wackos who run this state. Give and take I guess.

John, Welcome to InspectionNews!

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Welcome fellow Canuck!

Nice to see fellow Canadians on the forum, there are not enough of us.

From the southern climate of Canada, Caledon (Alton) Ontario. Still snow on the ground here, but the Robins are back which is a good sign that spring is approaching.

Enjoy the forum!