John Binder Guest

Default Brick and Mortar work

A porch I have inspected has water that penetrated between the concrete block and the mortar and brick. The brick was cracking and separating from the concrete block foundation of the porch. A contractor repaired the porch by removing the existing brick and revealing a water damaged concrete block. The company added mortar to foundation block of porch and re bricked. Should the foundation block been allowed to breathe before reapplication? Or can this repair endure..I'm thinking in a few years the brick and mortar may deteriorate again. Any thoughts. Thanks all. Jdb

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Brick and Mortar work

If the source of the water has not been addressed the problem is most likely going to resurface.

John Binder Guest

Yeah the water issue has been addressed. I just want to know if there would be a better method for the repair. John

The repair should endure with the water issue having been resolved. The repair being masonry will dry out.

You may want to post some pics. How well it holds up depends on what was done. as stated above, if the water has not been resolved, and all that was done was a reapplication the same way that already failed... well you know the rest.

Are they full bricks or lick and stick? if they are full; they should be supported on the bottom (adequately), and there should be a drainage gap between the bricks and the block, and there should be ample weep holes and brick ties to the block..

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

John Binder Guest

Thanks Steve..yeah I explained to my Client that the way the repair was done was pretty hurried and incorrect. There are a number of different applications but, not this way. This method may only last a number of years before it may be done the right way!