Default What are the 2 PVC pipes?

Found the 2 pipe outlets at mechanical room & capped at attic. Any body knows what is the function of those? 2011 new detached.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: What are the 2 PVC pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Found the 2 pipe outlets at mechanical room & capped at attic. Any body knows what is the function of those? 2011 new detached.
    My best guess would be wiring chase. Why capped and why two, I don't know.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I would have to go with a wiring chase also.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I did at my house with copper for a solar hot water collector. That's the first thing that came to mind with the two pipes. I probably wouldn't use CPVC for the solar collector, but it could be that or for a wiring chase up to the attic space. Could be for future solar PV as well. Should be gray PVC for electrical conduit, though.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Yes, There is a main sub-panel on the wall of this room. But for that locationg & only AC evapoator at attic. I cannot see any reason to run a wire chase conduit this way. The builder told me this is by-law to go outside, which made me think it is a compensate air intake. However, never seen any like this, plus capped at attic.

If there is a floor between the mechanical room and the attic, them my guess is some forward thinking person put some tubes in so that wiring, or refrigerant lines, etc could easily be added. If the attic, is directly above the mechanical room, then my guess may still be correct, but I wonder why bother.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    but I wonder why bother.
    Future upgrade Gas Appliances.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Is that a furnace in attic or an air handler. My first thought was future drains lines for condensate disposal.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Likely for pipe run (supply and return) for secondary heat exchanger in air handler.

Certainly not electrical from condensing water heater.

When I build houses I usually provide a conduit for future wiring. I went to 2 pipes so electric and data can be separated. Started capping them when it was brought to my attention that not doing so allows moisture to travel into attic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gulotta View Post
    When I build houses I usually provide a conduit for future wiring. I went to 2 pipes so electric and data can be separated. Started capping them when it was brought to my attention that not doing so allows moisture to travel into attic.
    I have not seen any examples until this one, but 30 municipalities here have adopted a new BC Regulation that applies to new houses and requires 2 conduit runs (min inside diameter 50mm) from the area where the main water heater is up to the attic space. This is to make it easier to add water pipes in the future for solar domestic hot water systems. The conduits are to be sealed at both ends and must be marked.

I just noticed the poster is from BC, which aligns with this idea as to why the conduit is there. See http://www.housing.gov.bc.ca/buildin...r/SolarReg.pdf for the regulation and a municipalities list.

Last edited by Frank Norman; 03-29-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Some of the larger builders in my area are installing these in case a Radon mitigation system is needed. If not they are unused.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gulotta View Post

This gets my vote. I have seen it with my builders and think it is a very thoughtful and beneficial addition.

..When I build houses I usually provide a conduit for future wiring. I went to 2 pipes so electric and data can be separated...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    This gets my vote. I have seen it with my builders and think it is a very thoughtful and beneficial addition.
    Conduits between the utilities area and the attic for future electric and data wiring?? Usually this would be true only if there were a specific purpose in mind for such wiring between those particular places. Without any knowledge of such specific intentions, I would put my money on the BC Building Regulation that requires these conduits to facilitate the future installation of water pipes for solar heating panels on the roof. If the conduits really were there for future electric and data wiring, then they should be additional to the conduits that are required for future solar hot water installation. There is no mention that there are more conduits than the two which are required for future solar.

- - - Updated - - -

..When I build houses I usually provide a conduit for future wiring. I went to 2 pipes so electric and data can be separated...

Conduits between the utilities area and the attic for future electric and data wiring?? Usually this would be true only if there were a specific purpose in mind for such wiring between those particular places. Without any knowledge of such specific intentions, I would put my money on the BC Building Regulation that requires these conduits to facilitate the future installation of water pipes for solar heating panels on the roof. If the conduits really were there for future electric and data wiring, then they should be additional to the conduits that are required for future solar hot water installation. There is no mention that there are more conduits than the two which are required for future solar.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan Wall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Yes, There is a main sub-panel on the wall of this room. But for that locationg & only AC evapoator at attic. I cannot see any reason to run a wire chase conduit this way. The builder told me this is by-law to go outside, which made me think it is a compensate air intake. However, never seen any like this, plus capped at attic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Norman View Post
    I have not seen any examples until this one, but 30 municipalities here have adopted a new BC Regulation that applies to new houses and requires 2 conduit runs (min inside diameter 50mm) from the area where the main water heater is up to the attic space. This is to make it easier to add water pipes in the future for solar domestic hot water systems. The conduits are to be sealed at both ends and must be marked.

I just noticed the poster is from BC, which aligns with this idea as to why the conduit is there. See http://www.housing.gov.bc.ca/buildin...r/SolarReg.pdf for the regulation and a municipalities list.
    Hi all. I am working my way through the Carson Dunlop courseware en-route to getting into home inspection, but currently work in the single family residential drafting/design end of things, also in southwest BC. Enjoying following this forum for additional education.

I'd agree with Frank on the 'Solar Hot Water Ready' requirement, particularly since the builder indicated it's to meet bylaw. It's interesting to see them installed; I always put a note on drawings for new construction indicating this requirement, always curious to see how many actually get installed, and how tightly the municipal building inspectors follow this regulation. Also curious to see how many get used for this purpose in the future.

Cheers,

Dan