Thread: Interesting

Default Interesting

Anyone seen flashing installed like this before and why? First for me. 3 feet down from the top.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Re: Interesting

I have never seen it. It is possible that there used to be an addition on that side that was torn down? Maybe a past repair?

The mortar, bricks, and everything to the left and above the flashing looks 'different', the mortar joints don't even line up (thickness, tooling surface, etc.).

I suspect that there was a partial knock down and rebuild, but why one would install a bond break for the mortar (that's what that flashing does) is beyond me.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yeah, weird, first one i've seen like this. 20 year old house. No addition in this location. And the top ( crown ) is definitely 20 years old. I'll call the owner manana and let you know what he says.

David Banks Guest

I believe it is "Through chimney flashing detail" This stores any water that has entered through the brickwork or cap. Weep holes are installed. Through chimney flashing is designed to collect any water that finds its way to the back side of the bricks.
    I have seen this on tall high end homes chimneys.

Thanks Dave, that would make sense and a good thing because the crown is a piece of crap.

Roger P Guest

Any chance you have photo shots of the other sdes of this chimney for us to view?

You don't actually think I went on the roof do you? HAHA. No, No pics of the other side. I was thinking the same thing, after I came down. But it was scary enough the first time so I left it at that.

Roger P Guest

Not a problem my friend; but, when you call the owner - see if you can talk them into going up and getting some shots for us

It will be interesting to see what they have to say about the chimney