Default CSST for flexible gas pipe to stove

Just did a home that had a piece of CSST used for the flexible gas pipe to the stove. I'm not sure, but I don't think CSST can be used in place of a 'flexible connector' leading from a hard pipe to the stove connection. Am I right or wrong???

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: CSST for flexible gas pipe to stove

I know Gastite brand CSST cannot be used as a connector for movable appliances. I'm not aware of any CSST that can be used for movable appliances. If this is a fixed cooktop, then yes, you could run CSST to it. The key is a moveable appliance, such as a free standing oven or dryer.

Janet Mellor Guest

Look at this video about CCST.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2uI_GYXWyU

Great Video Janet - Thank you
    Does anyone have more information on proper installation and the actual cause of failure ?
    Does any one know if these fires occurred where the gas mains have been converted to plastic (I forgot which plastic it is they are using and do not want to give wrong information)
    It appears (but I am not sure) that there is some sort of an arc that is burning through the CSST

This is a hot bed of coals that manufacturers are tiptoeing around.

There is no one way to say how it should be installed as it based on the manufactures instructions, although I'm sure there are some Muni's that will have their own rules. For example, you can go to www.gastite.com site to get their design and installation guide, but it won’t apply to other manufacturers, but Gastite is big around here.

We require, if CSST is installed, that the gas pipe be bonded at the closet point of entry to the building before (downstream of) any CSST. Also, the local gas company requires pipe to enter the house and then they can switch to the CSST. In most cases, installers will just run pipe as a main all the way to the furnace, and then tee off the main with CSST to hit other appliances. In this case, the gas pipe would have to be bonded back at the gas meter (point of entry), either inside or outside.

We also do not allow CSST to drop from the ceiling down to an appliance such as a furnace or water heater, but this will vary from town to town.

As far as the cause, it is not direct hits of lightening, as much as hits to the ground near the home. Not sure who, but someone claimed the CSST could not withstand the jolts from lightening hits and the metal would pit from arcing and could create pin holes that would leak.

Couple of us always thought the bonding requirement was a knee jerk reaction to a problem that manufacturers did not know how to handle and to avoid liability without admitting liability...

CSST is specifically permitted to connect fuel gas appliances, when installed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

In California the flexible gas connector must have the manufacturers band on it to be approved. The band is usually a metal ring with date of manufacture and identification. This is also an inspection point for BPI inspections, as there is a date where replacement is required.

The plastic pipe approved for under ground installation is polyethelene. Only to be installed underground with metal risers to above ground terminations. I have no knowledge of lightning fires in our area of California where alot of our mains have been replaced. Then we don't get that many strikes. We have had gas pipe bonding requirements for alot of years.