Default TWO LAYERED ROOF BUT NOT NAILS

HEY ALL

ok this 1977 roof had two layers of asphalt shingles but when i got in attic--didn't see to many nails-and the ones there were maybe at best 1/4 inch thru sheathing and there weren't many--what did they glue these thing s down. what do you thinkk

cvf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: TWO LAYERED ROOF BUT NOT NAILS

They may have used 7/8" nails. Those would not be long enough to go through all the shingles and the deck.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Granted the nails from the second layer are too short. This doesn't explain why the nails for the original layer are not visible. That is a mystery we can't solve from the armchair.
    The rule is for nails to pass completely thru the sheathing for max strength.

The second roof layer was a waste of money for two reasons - a new layer over an old leaky layer seldom lasts and the flashings are not replaced, so prone to leakage. Number two - not nailed down properly.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Two layers of sheathing, maybe 3/8" originally and they added 1/2" to beef it up when they did the first layer of shingles???

Stephen G Guest

I see nails....frosted white....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    I see nails....frosted white....
    you see nails frosted white-what does that mean--there are twolayers of shingles--come on stephen--thats lame

cvf

Stephen G Guest

I see nails, and they are frosted white? Corrosion....are you not seeing them or am I missing something

I see nails, and they are frosted white? Corrosion....are you not seeing them or am I missing something
    stephen--can't help you- the nails were not frosted enlarge the photo--there were five nails per sheaHting and two layers of shingles--what don't you get--TWO LAYERS--DOES THAT SEEM RIGHT TO YOU

CVF

Stephen G Guest

Was only commenting that, yes, I see nails. So the first set were nailed to the bare min..won't know about the second layer without lifting.....some days it pays not type anything....

Was only commenting that, yes, I see nails. So the first set were nailed to the bare min..won't know about the second layer without lifting.....some days it pays not type anything....
    YOU ARE RIGHT THERE

Use the Mike Holmes inspection method......Rip up the shingles, pull the nails, measure them and then demand that the house be re-roofed.......yeeehaww

Roof nails must penetrate the roof sheathing, so write it up, not that anyone will do anything about it now. But in windy Colorado, that roof has some vulnerability to wind damage.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I'm thinkin' they may have used staples for one of those layers. It wouldn't matter which if the wind hits it just right.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I'm thinkin' they may have used staples for one of those layers. It wouldn't matter which if the wind hits it just right.
    I didn't think of staples. When I was roofing in Texas back in the late 70's we used staples. It was obvious to me then, that staples were little better than putting bubble gum under the shingles. Cold shingles were secure but you could pull a warm stapled shingle up with little more than a tug but the boss said do it and we did it.........and in Texas, warm shingles were common.

But even staples were required to penetrate the decking.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.