Default brick veneer crack

Recently I had a house inspected by a professional. But he didn't report the brick veneer crack. Please help me with the brick veneer crack. How serious is it? Is it easy to get fixed?
    rsz_1imag0181.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: brick veneer crack

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Van View Post
    Recently I had a house inspected by a professional. But he didn't report the brick veneer crack. Please help me with the brick veneer crack. How serious is it? Is it easy to get fixed?
    If there is nothing more than what is shown in the photo you do not have a problem.
    Does not even merit mention in the report.
    This is cosmetic, no repair is needed.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thank you. Do you notice the tiny crack in the mortar above the brick's crack?
    Will it develop into a stair-step crack in the future?

by the way, is the hole in the photo what we call 'weep hole' which is intended for water drainage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    If there is nothing more than what is shown in the photo you do not have a problem.
    Does not even merit mention in the report.
    This is cosmetic, no repair is needed.

Thank you. Do you notice the tiny crack in the mortar above the brick's crack?
    Yes

Will it develop into a stair-step crack in the future?
    Not much to see in this photo, but I would not expect it

by the way, is the hole in the photo what we call 'weep hole' which is intended for water drainage?
    Yes, that is a weep hole. Leave it open.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Mike,

If you have questions about the inspection done by your inspector you should be talking to him or her.

As for the crack you have indicated that is a non-issue and would not be reported in my report unless there is a whole list of other things to be concerned about.

You zoomed in image does not give us in the 'arm-chairs' a lot to go on.

There are always cracks in brick and mortar on houses here in Texas (and a lot of other locations). It is the nature of the product.

The rule of cement is: 1) Set the forms 2) Pour the cement 3) It dries 4) It cracks

That is the lifeline of cement. Has been taught at every foundation certification training I've been to at the Post Tensioning Institute.

I would be willing to review your full report if you want to email it to me offline.

I am going to take a more precautionary stance. If the cracks only involve the brick, I would report the fact that hairline cracks were present just to cover my tail because things could change between the time of the inspection and the occupancy. If the cracks have complementary cracks in the foundation (which I don't see in the photo, BTW), I would recommend a structural inspection. Foundation cracks usually do not go solo; other cracks that cannot be seen may be present. Put that load on broader liability shoulders.

Matt Klein, P.E.
    Criterium-Cincinnati Engineers
    Fairfield, OH

Frank Adame Guest

For those in the DFW area, PTI will be holding certification classes in Dallas this November 9-10. www.post-tensioning.org. I'm there.

I tell all my clients that all houses have foundation "issues" such as hairline cracks on the brick veneer. The real question is does the house have foundation "failure"; does it need repair. The analogy that I use with them is that cracks on homes are like wrinkles on an older person. Just because I have a few wrinkles doesn't mean I need surgery.

Smile Re: brick veneer crack

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    For those in the DFW area, PTI will be holding certification classes in Dallas this November 9-10. www.post-tensioning.org. I'm there.

I tell all my clients that all houses have foundation "issues" such as hairline cracks on the brick veneer. The real question is does the house have foundation "failure"; does it need repair. The analogy that I use with them is that cracks on homes are like wrinkles on an older person. Just because I have a few wrinkles doesn't mean I need surgery.
    Let me see,um,you might need surgery,from the picture,I would say the hair line crack needs no repair of any type.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    Just because I have a few wrinkles doesn't mean I need surgery.
    Frank
    I tell people almost the same thing
    Frank is old and has winkles,....

If I had a dollar for every crack I have seen like that that I didn't mention I could retire!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Starkey View Post
    If I had a dollar for every crack I have seen like that that I didn't mention I could retire!
    I write it up as "brick veneer appears serviceable with common cracks". I offer no elaboration unless asked. Although, I'll point out that weep holes shouldn't be filled.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I write it up as "brick veneer appears serviceable with common cracks". I offer no elaboration unless asked. Although, I'll point out that weep holes shouldn't be filled.
    I will only mention minor brick cracks if there are several and larger then the one in the photo. Here in North Texas every house has minor cracks like that, even brand new houses can have a minor crack within days of the bricks being installed. That type of crack is totally meaningless in my opinion. Bricks shrink and swell with heating and cooling, a hairline crack like that doesn't merit mentioning unless there are lot or there are larger gaps in the crack. We are required to render an opinion about the foundations performance good or bad so I will mention the cracks again if there are several as typical settling cracks then say "however the foundation is performing in an acceptable manner at this time". I only talk about the weep holes if asked. They are obviously there for a reason, if they are caulked or non existent then I write it up otherwise I don't bring it up typically.

Thank you.

Today I took another picture. There is a strair step crack in the brick veneer and mortar.

I am concerned about whether this is an issue.

What is the cause of this kind of crack?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Mike,

If you have questions about the inspection done by your inspector you should be talking to him or her.

As for the crack you have indicated that is a non-issue and would not be reported in my report unless there is a whole list of other things to be concerned about.

You zoomed in image does not give us in the 'arm-chairs' a lot to go on.

There are always cracks in brick and mortar on houses here in Texas (and a lot of other locations). It is the nature of the product.

The rule of cement is: 1) Set the forms 2) Pour the cement 3) It dries 4) It cracks

That is the lifeline of cement. Has been taught at every foundation certification training I've been to at the Post Tensioning Institute.

I would be willing to review your full report if you want to email it to me offline.

Last edited by Mike Van; 04-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.

rsz_2imag0329.jpgThank you.<br>
    <br>
    Today I took another picture. There is a strair step crack in the brick veneer and mortar.<br>
    <br>
    I am concerned about whether this is an issue.<br>
    <br>
    What is the cause of this kind of crack?<br>
    <br>
    Mike<br>
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Mike,<br>
    <br>
    If you have questions about the inspection done by your inspector you should be talking to him or her.<br>
    <br>
    As for the crack you have indicated that is a non-issue and would not be reported in my report unless there is a whole list of other things to be concerned about.<br>
    <br>
    You zoomed in image does not give us in the 'arm-chairs' a lot to go on.<br>
    <br>
    There are always cracks in brick and mortar on houses here in Texas (and a lot of other locations). It is the nature of the product.<br>
    <br>
    The rule of cement is: 1) Set the forms 2) Pour the cement 3) It dries 4) It cracks<br>
    <br>
    That is the lifeline of cement. Has been taught at every foundation certification training I've been to at the Post Tensioning Institute.<br>
    <br>

rsz_1imag0181.jpg
    Mike as others have stated this is a Non- Issue ( other than maybe buyers remorse ) let this go an sleep easy.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Hi Rick, I have attached a new picture here which shows clearly a stair-step crack has
    been developed there. Is this an issue?

Please help me if anyone here can.

Best,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Yes

Not much to see in this photo, but I would not expect it

Yes, that is a weep hole. Leave it open.

It;s never good to find a crack in brick, but at the same time it;s not always bad..
    Keeping in mind, I'm not there to examine closer, but I do not see anything that causes me concern.

Thank you.

Today I took another picture. There is a strair step crack in the brick veneer and mortar.

I am concerned about whether this is an issue.

What is the cause of this kind of crack?

Mike
    That crack is going to kill you! You are going to worry about it day and night, night and day.

My SWAG on the cracks is that they are due to some type of settlement, most likely compaction settlement which happens in the first couple of years of a homes life. In the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal, 99.2% of the time.

If this is really bothering you(I think it is), you should call a structural engineer(PE) to come out and take a look. Do not use one associated with a foundation repair contractor. Most will offer a verbal opinion for about a third of the cost of a written one.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

rsz_2imag0329.jpgThank you.<br>
    <br>
    Today I took another picture. There is a strair step crack in the brick veneer and mortar.<br>
    <br>
    I am concerned about whether this is an issue.<br>
    <br>
    What is the cause of this kind of crack?<br>
    <br>
    Mike<br>

Mike,

Without actually being at your property to view the foundation and overall structure making any kind of observation on focused images is nearly impossible.

It appears that this is really bothering you (as others have noted), but you need to be more forthcoming with answers for a list of questions to help put the situation into perspective.

I can refer you to an independent PE who would give you an honest opinion, but he will not do that without having seen the property.

Again, I would be more than glad to review your original inspection report to see if I can glean anything from that report that would aid in any such 'cracking' determination.

Also, again ... you noted you are in Texas. Where in Texas? This can also have a bearing on an inspector's findings and basis for his observed comments.

You are seeking a granular detailed "opinion" via long-distance without giving any of us the opportunity to see the issue you are troubled about onsite. Based upon what you have posted virtually all of us have suggested it appears to be a non-issue. None of us have crystal balls and cannot predict the future ... we can only note what we see 'today' and provide associated observations on possibilities or things in the past that may have been a contributor to the issues noted.

If you like, contact me offline and I can try and direct you to a good PE or other resource.

e-mail: NolanATNolansInspections.com