Thumbs up Uploading Photos

Directions to add photos into your post.

1) Click on the paperclip icon in the top row (click on the clip, not the down arrow)

2) Click on "Add Files"

3) Select the file from your computer

4) Click "+" to add more photos and when done click "Upload". Your files will be added into the lower "Attachments" section.

5) Click "Insert Inline" or just select "Done". If you just select "Done" you will not see your photo in the text box but you can click "Preview Post" to make sure the attachment is there.

Watch the video tutorial: 2013-04-04_0928 - brihann's library

InspectionNews125x125.gif

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Uploading Photos

I've tried uploading photos a couple of times in the last week with no success. This is the first time I've used the new uploader. I've read the below, followed it closely, but the photos never upload. The photos are JPGs reduced to 44KB. What are the most likely culprits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post

1) Click on the paperclip icon in the top row (click on the clip, not the down arrow)

2) Click on "Add Files"

4) Click "+" to add more photos and when done click "Upload". Your files will be added into the lower "Attachments" section.

5) Click "Insert Inline" or just select "Done". If you just select "Done" you will not see your photo in the text box but you can click "Preview Post" to make sure the attachment is there.

Giving it a try:::

SMALL 640x480.JPGSMALL 640x480 - 2.JPG resized to 640x480 / 67.4KB

Seems to work (left click) with "Insert line ___"

But not with "Done".

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 05-09-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I've tried uploading photos a couple of times in the last week with no success. This is the first time I've used the new uploader. I've read the below, followed it closely, but the photos never upload. The photos are JPGs reduced to 44KB. What are the most likely culprits?
    Just guessing here, but make sure the size is appropriately reduced to fit the specified limit not just the quality. Even a photo that is small enough in one dimension won't fit if it is rotated so the other dimension is too large.IMG_2985.jpgRoof_framing_members_1.jpg

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Try it now.

I have increased the max size to 1200x1200

When I get time I will try to make it a little easier.

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Same problem. I clicked on the "upload photo" which opened another window and then "Add Photos", "Browse" - then selected the photo to upload, and "Upload", and that's it! It just sits there. the file is only 142 kg, so that's not the problem.

Checkpoint Home Inspections
    www.checkpointinspections.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Campone View Post
    Same problem. I clicked on the "upload photo" which opened another window and then "Add Photos", "Browse" - then selected the photo to upload, and "Upload", and that's it! It just sits there. the file is only 142 kg, so that's not the problem.
    After the image file is uploaded the location dissapears from the "upload" list and appears with the actual file name under "Current Attachments" list. You have to scroll down in the "other window".

Then you have to click on the bottom center (scroll down more if you have to) "close window" button.

I see NO "done" button. Perhaps Doug Campone, like myself, is using an older computer & OpSys?

As I recall, ONLY the jpeg format files can be "inserted" unless Brian H. has made a change. bitmaps, pdf, and other formats couldn't be inserted before, just attached.

Testing the attachment/insert

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    As I recall, ONLY the jpeg format files can be "inserted" unless Brian H. has made a change. bitmaps, pdf, and other formats couldn't be inserted before, just attached.

Testing the attachment/insert
    I'm trying to upload a PDF file but it won't work. If you look at the help button (blue circle) on photo upload it says it takes a PDF file up to 5.72 MB. That's a big file. My file is only 40 KB. This is not an easy process!

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    I'm trying to upload a PDF file but it won't work. If you look at the help button (blue circle) on photo upload it says it takes a PDF file up to 5.72 MB. That's a big file. My file is only 40 KB. This is not an easy process!
    Ken,

You have to use the ATTACHMENT (and not INSERT) command to "upload" successfully the .pdf format file, as I said before, I THINK only .jpeg & .jpg type can be INSERTed when uploaded from your local computer. There is a script that has to be allowed to run to complete the process - do you have your permissions set to allow same in "pop up" windows?

If your file is compressed in a different format or encrypted/copy protected it may not/will not upload. I'm guessing if the file has a "bug" i.e.the file size your computer is reporting ??? might prevent - but perhaps its your security software/security settings.

In the meantime, you can still "manually" (not really, its just the "old way, not using the point & click icons in the reply "window" message/ text editor) attach files by using the "box" below the message-editor, scroll down the "reply" page below the "Your Message" blue bar header...to the "Additional Options" blue bar headder, its the second choice, just bellow "miscellaneous options"...and is marked "Attachments".

Have you tried "attaching" the/a file using the area down below the message editor icons? (scroll down past the Post Icons a bit further) yet?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Testing a .pdf attachment for Ken A. approx 857 kb file, using the METHOD I described in the post immediately prior (i.e. not using the text editor icon from the message window, but the area BELLOW it under "Additional Options".

(There are also setting regarding same in your User Profile (user ID here on IN) which YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE from what became "the new defult" setting when our host "upgraded" the forum software version, Ken. I had to AFTER the "tweaks" made that the OP discusses having been made.

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-05-2013 at 03:48 PM.

2) Click on "Add Files"

I'm still having problems with Inspection news. I am trying to follow Brian's video, - I can get through item #3 but when I try to upload it the file the indicator just spins and spins and gets stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

2) Click on "Add Files"

I'm still having problems with Inspection news. I am trying to follow Brian's video, - I can get through item #3 but when I try to upload it the file the indicator just spins and spins and gets stuck.

Ken Amelin

Hi Ken,

I have heard that the IE 10 browser has some issues with the upload. Is that what you are using?

If so, try this.

Hi Brian,

The problem ( I found out) is a known issue with Internet explorer 10. In internet Explorer, select Tools and then select “Compatability settings” and “add” inspectionnews to the list. If someone else has a problem similar problem to mine, that is the fix.

Thanks

Gene
    Thanks to Gene for that tip!

Let me know if that solves your problem.

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Brian,

That worked!! - It also fixes some editing problems I had when trying to respond to others.

Thanks Gene!
    Thanks Brian!

Ken Amelin

Russel Ray Guest

MY IE10 does not have "Compatibility Settings" under Tools. I'm not finding it anywhere else, either.

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Russel Ray Guest

Ah ha! I have no Compatibility Settings because I'm already in compatibility view. However, that doesn't solve my problem of not being able to upload photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    Ah ha! I have no Compatibility Settings because I'm already in compatibility view. However, that doesn't solve my problem of not being able to upload photos.

Did you add InspectionNews to your list?

select “Compatibility settings” and “add” inspectionnews to the list.
    If so, and you are still having trouble please describe the trouble you are having and I will see if I can help you figure it out.

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Russel Ray Guest

Did you add InspectionNews to your list?

If so, and you are still having trouble please describe the trouble you are having and I will see if I can help you figure it out.
    Apparently I had added InspectionNews to my compatibility list shortly after upgrading to IE 10. I also added it everywhere else that I could but nothing is working yet.

When I try to upload a photo, even a small one of 48KB, it just hangs. Obviously it shouldn't take 30 minutes or more to upload 48KB.....lol

Apparently I had added InspectionNews to my compatibility list shortly after upgrading to IE 10. I also added it everywhere else that I could but nothing is working yet.

When I try to upload a photo, even a small one of 48KB, it just hangs. Obviously it shouldn't take 30 minutes or more to upload 48KB.....lol
    Have you tried uploading a photo with a different browser (Chrome or FireFox) to verify that it is a browser issue and not some other system problem?

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Russel Ray Guest

Have you tried uploading a photo with a different browser (Chrome or FireFox) to verify that it is a browser issue and not some other system problem?
    Yes, but I can't even get that far. Chrome and Firefox both crash my computer each time I try them (about twice a year) and I have to uninstall them each time.

I have had problems uploading photos as well. I just adjusted IE to as Brian recommend, still no luck. The upload page won't even load correctly.

Do you get the same thing when you try from all 3 of the options?

FileUpload.jpg

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Do you get the same thing when you try from all 3 of the options?

FileUpload.jpg
    It looks like it's working today.

Russel Ray Guest

Still not working for me, Brian. I also don't have three options like your graphic shows. I only have one option, the "Upload Photos" text option.

Still not working for me, Brian. I also don't have three options like your graphic shows. I only have one option, the "Upload Photos" text option.
    Russel Ray,

If you don't have the icons above the text editor box then you need to change your forum "Settings", specifically under the "General Settings" page at the bottom of same (scroll down) under the "Miscellaneous Options" section.

There are three "miscellaneous options" in that section, you'll need to change two of them.

The first is the "Message Editor Interface" option. Select the FIRST option (Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG). When that is selected and your security settings allow scripting, etc. you should see all the icons with the text editor.

The third "miscellaneous option" is the "Enhanced Attachment Uploading" option; and is the one that you'll need to change to be able to resume attaching photos. With the forum "upgrade" the new default became the Enhanced Attachment Uploading option being ON, mark the second choice - which is "Enhanced Attachment Uploading" option being OFF. If you change those settings, scroll down further to the "Save Changes" 'button' click that, then log off of IN, close out your browser, then log back in again, I believe you may again be able to at least upload photos from your local hard drive to your own posts, using the text button option below the text editor.

Try making those changes to your forum profile settings, (top right of screen after you've logged in, to the right of your name when logged in see "settings" (click), when page loads see list on left margin, scroll down to find "general settings" (click); when page loads ( http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...do=editoptions )
    then scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page area center to "miscellaneous options" and setting message editor interface to enhanced interface - full WYSIWYG; and setting Enhnced Attachment Uploading to OFF, be sure to scroll down further and click on "SAVE" changes for those settings changes to the forum, and then test it out.

HTH.

If you still can't upload an attached file to a message, next might be further security settings and/or your fire wall(s) settings.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-21-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Russel Ray Guest

Partial success. I have the extra options via enhanced editing. Thanks! Still not able to upload any pictures and I can't start a new paragraph in this editor. Maybe a reboot with the changes will help so I'll try again tomorrow.

This sucks... I cant upload either........When I go to upload the upload page starts with "home" and not where my images are and I cant change that default location.