Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Home From Rotator Cuff Surgery

Shockingly no actual rotator cuff repair was needed. The surgeon removed something called a Cyclops lesion and I have no idea what that is. I already have a follow-up appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and we will find out more at that time. Nothing needed to be done with the labrum so I am very relieved right now.

However, I am very confused as to how this played out because there was never any mention made of a cyclops lesion at any time during this process. I was fully expecting rotator cuff repair. Is it possible the MRI was read incorrectly by the radiologist? The report said there was a full thickness tear of the suprasinatus and I didn't hear anything from the surgeon about that being repaired. I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow and we'll have a lot of questions.

But right now, I'm cautiously relieved.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Home From Rotator Cuff Surgery

Good news???? I hope it works out OK for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Good news???? I hope it works out OK for you.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of this because it went far differently from what I was led to expect. I'll get answers tomorrow.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

NICK

next time call a home inspector we will use an thermal scope and give you the same staus

hope you will be back to using that arm soon

cvf

That is good news Nick. My wife had knee surgery about 10 years ago because the MRI said she had a torn meniscus. Waited eight weeks for the surgery because of scheduling. Surgeon came out and said "good news, nothing wrong, just cleaned out debris from injury". I don't think he even found debris but had to tell us something to make it worthwhile. That is when we found out MRI"s are no where near 100%, more like 70% accurate. Then due to the long wait and no use of the knee before surgery she had a longer recovery time that needed therapy. Your already on the home stretch.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Nick,
    My surgery was the result of a worn out joint where they ground down the joint to reduce friction and also found, while in there, that I also had a cuff tear which was a freebe repair while on the job. Had no symptoms or MRI signs at all of cuff tear. GO figure.

Ask to see the scope pictures that he took during the procedure and explain what you are seeing.
    Also ask to see the MRI and have him explain what he and the radiologist thought they were seeing.

Did you ask if he has E&O insurance . ((had to test out Brian's &amp repair))))

What! I am shocked! Everyone knows how perfect doctors are......nothing like lowly home inspectors.

This is an example of the blind men and the elephant. For all of us, additional information so often changes our diagnosis and improves how we describe the "big picture".

Good news is still good news.......and this sounds like good news.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Shockingly no actual rotator cuff repair was needed. The surgeon removed something called a Cyclops lesion and I have no idea what that is. I already have a follow-up appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and we will find out more at that time. Nothing needed to be done with the labrum so I am very relieved right now.

However, I am very confused as to how this played out because there was never any mention made of a cyclops lesion at any time during this process. I was fully expecting rotator cuff repair. Is it possible the MRI was read incorrectly by the radiologist? The report said there was a full thickness tear of the suprasinatus and I didn't hear anything from the surgeon about that being repaired. I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow and we'll have a lot of questions.

I had multiple MRIs, cat scan, Mylo-grams of my lower back. They did operate on L3-4 disc. I even had a disco-gram or what ever you call it to find out if I had leaking discs" , I did. All the problems seem to keep coming from L5-S1. I even had a second opinion from an associate Doctor that said he would never operate as he just saw no need (like he was the one with back problems affecting his life).

Anyway after that long story, They operated. The associate was there as well. What they found that did not show up on all those scans with contrast and without contrast was a bulge around the entire disc about the size of a pencil pushing out against everything.

The moral of the story is that no matter how much testing they do they will certainly not know everything before they go in or find something completely different than their diagnosis.

That was over a dozen years ago and I have needed more back work ever since on different areas and have chose to be a grunting groaning pain in the ....... back kind of guy on occasion instead of more operations. Trust me. Sometimes it takes ten minutes to get out of bed and standing straight and then another 20 to walk half way normal and then I am good for the day. Kind of. One day I may venture into more work on the back.

Good luck with the shoulder!

The last time I asked a doctor for a second opinion, he told me I was ugly.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    The last time I asked a doctor for a second opinion, he told me I was ugly.
    Ha ha! Good one Steve.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it seems that of the 5 tears stated in the MRI report, there was only one. And the cyclops lesion appears to have been interpreted as a full thickness tear of the suprisinatus which was fine. The report essentially was 20% correct.

Ha ha! Good one Steve.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it seems that of the 5 tears stated in the MRI report, there was only one. And the cyclops lesion appears to have been interpreted as a full thickness tear of the suprisinatus which was fine. The report essentially was 20% correct.
    Lucky one, Nick. The Cyclops lesion means you're growing one eye in the middle of your forehead. Always good to have a fresh eye.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I don't know what the "cyclops" is, but I had shoulder surgery in December. Shreded labrum, torn rotator cuff, and torn biceps tendon. The hardest part is recovering the strength and the six month recovery for the biceps tendon, which was detached and then reattached using a screw.

Consider yourself lucky!!
    Get better!

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

For me, the cyclops lesion is the part of the tendon that tore and the frayed end that turned into a balled up mass. The tendon is still intact but with 50% of it's previous thickness at the location of the tear.

Shockingly no actual rotator cuff repair was needed. The surgeon removed something called a Cyclops lesion and I have no idea what that is.

Well, I'm not sure you should be relieved. According to the web, (and the web doesn't lie) a Cyclops Lesion involves the knee. So you may need a new doctor.

A cyclops lesion is a complication of an ACL reconstruction surgery where there is scar tissue that inhibits full range of motion of the knee joint.

Read more: What Is a Cyclops Lesion in the Knee? | eHow.com What Is a Cyclops Lesion in the Knee? | eHow.com

Yeah, there is not much info out there regarding a cyclops lesion and anything you can find references the knee only. And you're right John, if it's on the Internet, it must be true.