Default State Select Age

Hi All! I ran into a State Select gas water heater yesterday that is giving me trouble with the age. It is a Model Number GS640YBRT, with the Serial Number of 1001A005964. All the age charts I can find say the State W/H year of manufacture is the two numbers following the first letter, as in C05*******. This one looks more like a 2010 or 2001 vintage, but that would be following some other manufacturer's system. Thinking back, I'm wondering now if that first number "1" was actually the letter "I". If that's the case, this one was made in Sept. of 2000. Thoughts? Has anyone seen an all numerical S/N system for State Select water heaters? Thanks a lot for your opinion on this.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: State Select Age

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    Hi All! I ran into a State Select gas water heater yesterday that is giving me trouble with the age. It is a Model Number GS640YBRT, with the Serial Number of 1001A005964. All the age charts I can find say the State W/H year of manufacture is the two numbers following the first letter, as in C05*******. This one looks more like a 2010 or 2001 vintage, but that would be following some other manufacturer's system. Thinking back, I'm wondering now if that first number "1" was actually the letter "I". If that's the case, this one was made in Sept. of 2000. Thoughts? Has anyone seen an all numerical S/N system for State Select water heaters? Thanks a lot for your opinion on this.
    "A" in the middle of the s/n says January, next two digits say 2000, at least that's the way I read it.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Sounds like you need a good link
    Building Intelligence Center | Your Resource for Education, Research, and Information
    happy birthday
    water heater is a 2010

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Building Intelligence Center | Your Resource for Education, Research, and Information
    happy birthday
    water heater is a 2010
    Thanks Wayne, that looks more accurate than what InspectApedia has. They can't hide the mfg. date of an automobile, why is it ok with appliances?

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I've always wondered why the date of manufacture was not simply stamped on the tag near the serial number. Ahh, but that would be too easy.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Also keep in mind that State post-dates their water heaters by 3 months, i.e., a water heater manufactured in January is dated as having been manufactured in April. The reason for this is that State presumes the water heater will be 3 months old, average, by the time the water heater is installed, and thus the warranty would start closer to the actual date of installation than if the date was listed as the actual date of manufacture.

I was told this years ago when I was finding water heaters with date of manufacture and those date had not yet come, those dates were into the future - so I called State to find out how a water heater which was not manufactured until July could be installed in a house in May of the same year (I was scratching my head on that one), that is when they explained the 3 months post-dating and the reason for it (to help the consumer with warranty times).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Carl Morello Guest

For STATE, the first chracter should be a letter, so I agree that it is an "I" and the 00 indicates 2000. I = September A= jan B= feb etc

here's a good link
    Determine Water Heater Age

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    happy birthday
    water heater is a 2010
    Thanks Wayne! I've had that link for quite a while, but its secondary links quit working for me some time back. The secondary pages won't finish loading. Can you post the link to the end result page that says this is a 2010 so that I can go directly to it? I'm from Missouri. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Morello View Post
    For STATE, the first chracter should be a letter, so I agree that it is an "I" and the 00 indicates 2000. I = September A= jan B= feb etc

here's a good link
    Determine Water Heater Age
    Thanks Carl! That's what I went with, with an "appears to be" instead of an "is" in the sentence. I'm curious to see the link that Wayne found.

Then, just to confuse things, we learn that at least one manufacturer actually makes the things three months before they say they do. I wonder how that works with their accounting department's annual inventories? They're literally counting their chickens before they hatch.

Thanks Wayne! I've had that link for quite a while, but its secondary links quit working for me some time back. The secondary pages won't finish loading. Can you post the link to the end result page that says this is a 2010 so that I can go directly to it? I'm from Missouri. Thanks again!
    Wayne, I still can't access those secondary links, and I could either use the water heater one, or if you would, just let me know what the code is for the State Select water heaters. I just ran into another of these things. It's S/N is 1150A013805, so there's no confusion that the first digit might be a letter "I", otherwise this one would be built in 2015, but I don't think they pre-date them quite that much. You said the last one was a 2010, so looking at where the 10 was in that first S/N, that would imply that this one is a 2011?

Very much appreciate someone's help with getting this right.

Wayne, I still can't access those secondary links, and I could either use the water heater one, or if you would, just let me know what the code is for the State Select water heaters. I just ran into another of these things. It's S/N is 1150A013805, so there's no confusion that the first digit might be a letter "I", otherwise this one would be built in 2015, but I don't think they pre-date them quite that much. You said the last one was a 2010, so looking at where the 10 was in that first S/N, that would imply that this one is a 2011?

Very much appreciate someone's help with getting this right.
    Yes Manufactured 2011.

How to determine the date of production/manufacture or age of a STATE® water heater. | Building Intelligence Center

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks Billy! I think my security software is keeping me from opening that link as well, but that's okay. You've pretty much confirmed that with the newer State Select units, the first two digits in the S/N are the year of manufacture. I do appreciate your help with this.