Matt Fletcher Guest

Default A realtor told me....

That this type of plumbing connection line should be written up as a defect because they fail. About 90% of newer homes have these type of connections and I have never written them up. Maybe I was absent that day in home inspector school. Anyone else write these up??

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: A realtor told me....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fletcher View Post
    Anyone else write these up??
    When they fail I write them up, (or when improperly installed).

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I have never seen them "fail". I have seen some poorly installed and leaking. I write them up if there is a problem.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

That type of supply is pex. Around me in homes they are allowed, but in commercial applications they are not allowed. Chicago allows them as long as the building is less than 3 stories and houses no more than 3 families.

I would tell the realtor, then you would have to write up the new Delta faucets, since they are building their faucets with built in pex supplies.

They are the worse ones, many do crack after some time. Personally, several in my house cracked, I ended up replacing all with the stainless braided type and never had a problem since.
    I have seen more problems with homes on municipal water source around my area, no expansion tank, suspect back pressure buildup from water heater causing most of those bursting, but still, see more of this type cracking than any other types, but are allowed in many areas.

Maybe she thought it was polybutylene opposed to Pex?

Are we sure it's PEX? Even 3/8" PEX is pretty difficult to bend like that. Would have to have pretty thin walls.

Cool Re: A realtor told me....

I don't write them up unless leaking . I have had these in my house for 16 yrs no problem yet

Those 3/8" supply risers are pvc and are made specifically for that use. I have never seen one "fail", I have seen them "leak" at the valve end because of improper installation (i.e., not inserted into the nut far enough, using a brass compression ring instead of the nylon ring, not installing the required internal insert, etc.).

Al least that is what I have seen, and not seen (no "failure") in my rather limited lifetime ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'll go with your evidence ... however, when I have purchased those ... er ... ones that "look like" those ... the labels always said "PVC" on them ... maybe I was getting cheap designer knock-offs?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'll go with your evidence
    So what is the count now?
    4...5?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'll go with your evidence ... however, when I have purchased those ... er ... ones that "look like" those ... the labels always said "PVC" on them ... maybe I was getting cheap designer knock-offs?
    Maybe PEX comes in PVC colors, cuz mine sure look like pvc too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Maybe PEX comes in PVC colors, cuz mine sure look like pvc too.
    Well lets look at this another way. Is PVC allowed for water service? In Illinois you can use PVC for cold water distribution, but hot water requires CPVC. So if those plastic supply lines are not pex and are indeed PVC then they do not meet the code for the hot side of the faucet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    Well lets look at this another way. Is PVC allowed for water service? In Illinois you can use PVC for cold water distribution, but hot water requires CPVC. So if those plastic supply lines are not pex and are indeed PVC then they do not meet the code for the hot side of the faucet.
    I don't disagree, but I'm just saying that I have some faucet hook-ups that sure look like pvc. BTW, if I am installing those fixtures, I rarely use the enclosed plastic tubing and use flex hose connections.

Those pipes are grey plastic. I think we can agree on that much.
    The realtor has been told that grey plastic is bad news. End of story.
    Those grey plastic hookup pipes are in millions of home doing the job just fine.

PVC is typically hard plastic, PEX is usually soft plastic. I accept PEX as the best answer.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    I recommend a change out to braided steel flex almost all the time.
    This one I would do the same as the picture says a 1000 words.
    Also in my neck of the woods only CSA approved ones.
    I have seen more flooded homes due to the braided steel supplies failing. The braided part is just covering a rubber hose. I prefer the chrome plated copper supply lines. Nothing beats a good hard piped water supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    Nothing beats a good hard piped water supply.
    Yeah, I can only remember when

That this type of plumbing connection line should be written up as a defect because they fail. About 90% of newer homes have these type of connections and I have never written them up. Maybe I was absent that day in home inspector school. Anyone else write these up??
    While that is a sloppy installation it is still a legal one. If you read the writing on the supply tube you will see that it clearly says PEX. Those supply lines do have the cone head molded on them and should outlast the faucet they are attached to. The PEX lines that have the slip on cone head should never be used. They can "and do" come off under pressure with undesirable consequences. FYI: Another note is that the ferrule used on the valve end should be the nylon or plastic ones that come with the PEX tubes instead of the copper ones that will get cocked in the fitting and cut the PEX line causing a leak at that connection. Still if it isn't leaking at the time of the inspection, it's not an issue
    that needs to be addressed.

- - - Updated - - -

While that is a sloppy installation it is still a legal one. If you read the writing on the supply tube you will see that it clearly says PEX. Those supply lines do have the cone head molded on them and should outlast the faucet they are attached to. The PEX lines that have the slip on cone head should never be used. They can "and do" come off under pressure with undesirable consequences. FYI: Another note is that the ferrule used on the valve end should be the nylon or plastic ones that come with the PEX tubes instead of the copper ones that will get cocked in the fitting and cut the PEX line causing a leak at that connection. Still if it isn't leaking at the time of the inspection, it's not an issue
    that needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wisnewski View Post
    Maybe she thought it was polybutylene opposed to Pex?
    Bob, I think you nailed it. The realtor probably thinks it's that grey, opaque stuff (polybutylene) that her favorite H/I pointed out in an old manufactured home some years back, and now everything that is grey and opaque is suspect. But then that's why she's a realtor, and not a home inspector.

Thinking about it most of the ones I have seen fail were excessively bent similar to the ones pictured or worse and had cracked in a bend area, but have had a few fail, of course were ones installed around the late 80's.