Default spinning supply valves

Not familiar with these supply shut-off valves. You can easily turn both of them, I mean the whole assembly, not the handles, yet they don't seem to be leaking. Could they be designed to do that?
    sink valves2.jpgsink valves.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: spinning supply valves

Looks like a Shark Bite.
    If so, then Yes, they will turn and not leak.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Looks like a Shark Bite.
    If so, then Yes, they will turn and not leak.
    Thanks, Rick!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Yep, Shark bite or similar design 1/4 turn valve. Little freekish if you are not familiar with them.

Rear (wall end) ring when compressed into valve will allow it to slide off the 1/3 " pipe. O-ring is the seal.

Looks like a Shark Bite.
    I don't recall that Shark Bite fittings have nut flanges on them ... guess I should have looked on the internet (but I didn't).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Haven't run across them or at least didn't notice they turn.

I did a new construction inspection the other day and saw some new white plastic shut off valves with round flat ends and you push them in to shut off the water and pull them out to turn it on. They seemed really cheap to me. Has anyone else seen these?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Starkey View Post
    They seemed really cheap to me. Has anyone else seen these?
    Haven't seen anything like that here
    Might be a Texas thing

I did a new construction inspection the other day and saw some new white plastic shut off valves with round flat ends and you push them in to shut off the water and pull them out to turn it on. They seemed really cheap to me. Has anyone else seen these?
    Yes, the white ones I usually see with PEX piping. Although, I'm wondering why a home inspector would be operating/turning shut offs. Could be asking for trouble, we are not required to operate S/O's in AZ. You break it, you buy it.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    Although, I'm wondering why a home inspector would be operating/turning shut offs.
    Dang, if-n it's got a bertin (southern for button), lets press it and see whart (southern for what) happens

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    Yes, the white ones I usually see with PEX piping. Although, I'm wondering why a home inspector would be operating/turning shut offs. Could be asking for trouble, we are not required to operate S/O's in AZ. You break it, you buy it.
    Well it was with PEX plumbing and I don't typically operate valves just to operate them but I had never seen them before and was just trying to figure out how they worked so if I client asks me I have a clue. It was brand new construction so I highly doubt they would break just by shutting them off then back on and if they did I wouldn't buy them, I would write them up as defective and in need of repair and go shut off the water to the house.

- - - Updated - - -

Dang, if-n it's got a bertin (southern for button), lets press it and see whart (southern for what) happens
    Really? Grow up!

Those cheap "push/pull" shut-offs are widely used here in FL, on new construction or re-plumbs. I operate them from time to time and can't ever manage to do it without the stub-out practically snapping off from all the force needed.

Sorry Jim
    It was just an attempt at humor and in no way was it directed at you.
    I'm from Georgia and it was supposed to sound like southern drawl
    I have used it before on this forum.
    see http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ndows-7-a.html
    Again, it was not directed at you.
    Oh,when I finally do see one, I will likely "Mash der burten"

Yes, I've seen them. In one case it was a new house and most of the supply pipes were installed vertically though the floors. I pulled on one toilet shutoff valve and the CPVC supply pipe came up about 6 inches with the valve. Looks like someone forgot to install a keeper on the pipe.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Had 'em in our house (built in '99) They are cheap and I changed them out as soon as we moved in. If your pipes are stable in the wall, they won't be after a few uses of these valves. They also really make the pipes "hammer" due to being "full on - full off" all at once - Steel braided lines and quarter-turn ball valves is "the only" way to go - sinks, toilets, washing machine, water heater - you name it.....JMO

The white push on are called Accor (like Accord, without the d).

We sell around 30 kits a month. Definitely a price point item, but we don't have any problems with them when they're installed correctly.

Steve