Default Lead and copper in Water

interested to know, How many of you do these tests.
    Typically we test houses built prior to 1985 for Lead in Water
    Copper is also a result of water sitting in the pipes and can be harmful, especially to kids
    yesterday I tested a 6 year old home with PEX and got a double reading over the acceptable limit on a first draw test on Lead.
    This is just from the fixture, Which more than likely was made in china, Where no regs are in place for lead Solder.
    This is a liability to you all and you should not be over looking these tests just because the broker says, " OH it's city water you don't need to test"
    The response to that should be" STFUYDC" you do your job I'll do mine.
    Anyway, I vented and am interested in your testing guidelines

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by wayne soper; 04-13-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Lead and copper in Water

Howdy Wayne,

That's outta my scope http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/0780/0780-05/0780-05-12.pdf

Perhaps include a Information Sheet in the report on the known problems in a given area with a how to obtain a lab test.

But You have to do what you feel is best for your client.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I found this pretty good info sheet. Cheap brass contains lead. Now who could be putting cheap brass into products for sale to Western consumers?

MWRA - About Lead and Faucets

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I found this pretty good info sheet. Cheap brass contains lead. Now who could be putting cheap brass into products for sale to Western consumers?

MWRA - About Lead and Faucets
    went to one of the big box stores to get a replacement outside faucet. The label said American Valve Company.
    Got home and noticed on the back said made in China :-(
    With all news these days about lead being in other things made in China, not sure why plumbing parts with high lead content has not made the news ?

US or China, Lead has been in brass for a very long time, nothing new.
    Lead makes the brass more workable.
    RECENTLY, there are brass products that are lead free brass.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Testing for lead is beyond the scope of my inspections whether in paint or in water. But as you point out, if you do it, you have to test at every faucet because an individual faucet can have contamination. In practice, not all faucets are used for obtaining drinking water. High lead from a tub faucet is unlikely a health concern.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clarke View Post
    went to one of the big box stores to get a replacement outside faucet. The label said American Valve Company.
    Got home and noticed on the back said made in China :-(
    With all news these days about lead being in other things made in China, not sure why plumbing parts with high lead content has not made the news ?
    Makes you wonder why they're trying to kill us when we owe them so much money. If we're all lying in hospitals from lead poisoning, how is China going to collect?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Makes you wonder why they're trying to kill us when we owe them so much money. If we're all lying in hospitals from lead poisoning, how is China going to collect?
    The plan is not to kill, just to weaken and maim a little bit, kill a few babies maybe.

Yes, lead was typically added to brass fittings, but when you see the casting springing a leak after a couple of years in service, hey, it's dissolving, maybe a bit too much lead?

My beef is not with the Chinese people, many are colleagues and friends, but with the manufacturers, which includes Americans, who choose to supply us with a cheap product by way of slave labor. Red China with commercial interests.

www.allsafehome.ca

with the manufacturers, which includes Americans, who choose to supply us with a cheap product by way of slave labor. Red China with commercial interests.
    Yep,

They make em to the Supplied Specs.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Yes, lead was typically added to brass fittings, but when you see the casting springing a leak after a couple of years in service, hey, it's dissolving, maybe a bit too much lead?
    Actually, that problem is caused more by the Zinc, not the Lead.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Actually, that problem is caused more by the Zinc, not the Lead.
    Of course. Zinc is cheaper than lead, so dump in more zinc.

The point is, a newer home plumbed in PEX had elevated levels of lead in the water. The source is clean. The evidence points to the fixtures. The link I posted is worth a read.

Where do old car batteries go? handy source of cheap lead, we have already paid extra to have it dumped.

Last edited by John Kogel; 04-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    www.allsafehome.ca