Default Is this just sap?

House built in 1958 with rafters. This looks like sap to me but thought I would call for second opinions.
    sap.jpg

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Is this just sap?

Is this just sap?

Yes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes just sap. You can also tell the "slope of grain" by this leakage. I'd have to look it up but I think it's like 1-in10 or something. If you measure 10 inches down the board, the grain cannot be off more then 1 inch in a # 1 grade. In an older house (ex. 1958), chances are, the rafters would have split by now but in new construction I usually pay more attention. I know as inspectors, this goes beyond the scope but Inspections are an never ending learning process.

Another "Yes". Not a problem and in a few million years, might even be droplets of amber. Did you see any mosquitoes entombed in a drop? Just wonderin'.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I'm curious, is this grade stamped lumber? I am not an expert in lumber grading, but the wood probably qualifies as #3 or stud grade, which makes very poor rafter material.

Thom Huggett, PE, SE, CBO

The laws may have changed a little but it used to be for rafters, each piece had to be stamped #1, and only about 10 or 20 % was allowed to be #2 grade in the system as a whole. When I look at framing lumber I look for the slope of the grain first and then large knots, spike knots and knot clusters. A bunch of small little knots is good, it actually strenghtens the piece but any knots taking up 1/4 of the piece or more are starting to affect the piece. In the picture Tom put up, the rafters look in good condition. I'd move on to the next component......