Default Level II Chimney Inspection Cost

Does anyone know what a ballpark estimate is to get an NFPA level II chimney inspection from a licensed chimney sweep? I recommend them often but do not know what is charged for the service.

I got one estimate for $340 from a local company and was told in the last 10 years they've only done two. That is about the going rate for a sewer scope around here and seems a bit pricey.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Default Re: Level II Chimney Inspection Cost

Have you tried calling a few companies that do more than two per 10yrs?

I'm curious how much you think a Level II inspection is worth in Chicago and what you think it entails. FYI, most sewer cam jobs do not require ladders or crawling in attics and rarely provide comprehensive written reports and there is no national standard I'm aware of they are held to.

Also, as with most home inspections, the price is partially determined by how much you are inspecting. In this case, most pros I know charge a flat rate for the first chimney with two attached appliances such as one fireplace and one heater then increment up for additional chimneys and appliances.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Have you tried calling a few companies that do more than two per 10yrs?
    I guess I'll have to. Thanks anyway.

Mike Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Does anyone know what a ballpark estimate is to get an NFPA level II chimney inspection from a licensed chimney sweep? I recommend them often but do not know what is charged for the service.

I got one estimate for $340 from a local company and was told in the last 10 years they've only done two. That is about the going rate for a sewer scope around here and seems a bit pricey.
    Here in CA we do scans for $250 for the first and $150 for each additional. Sewer is $350

Thanks Marc.

I called a local Chicago area outfit, Lindemann Chimneys, and they were extremely nice and helpful over the phone. They do hundreds of level II inspections a year and charge $219 for a single chimney and then a step down in price if there are more.

I think they are going to let me do a ride along with one of their guys which would be very cool.

Lindemann Chimney Supply

Mike Lamb

Mike Bob Harper is right, its a lot more involved than a visual evaluation. We charge $250.00 with a written narrative report. We sweep the system first before the scan, inspect and then take the results back to the office where we will do our narrative report and add pictures of any defects we find. Some sweeps do there reports right from their truck from the jobsite, either way works.

John Pilger
    Chief Chimney Services, Inc.
    Smithtown, NY

WOW! I have known for 25 years that Denver is one of the most competitive markets in the country. A sewer scope from good, trusted guys run $100 to $125.
    Chimney inspections are about the same, but it's been a while since I've seen anyone do a Level II.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Smile Re: Level II Chimney Inspection Cost

Quote Originally Posted by John Pilger View Post
    We charge $250.00 with a written narrative report. We sweep the system first before the scan, inspect and then take the results back to the office where we will do our narrative report and add pictures of any defects we find. Some sweeps do there reports right from their truck from the jobsite, either way works.

John Pilger
    Chief Chimney Services, Inc.
    Smithtown, NY
    Thanks, John.

I know what a Level 2 entails and never implied that it was not an involved process.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pilger View Post
    Mike Bob Harper is right, its a lot more involved than a visual evaluation.
    And of course, Bob is right.

Mike Lamb

Cool who should perform the level II inspection?

First of all, there is no national standard stating that home inspectors are obligated to incorporate a level II in their inspections. There is NFPA 211, which has been held up in courts all over the country so if there was an incident or loss then this std. will most probably be waved around. Now, when you read the triggers for a level II, it clearly includes the most common reason for home inspections-sale or transfer of property. Now, when our home inspector does his thing, he is required by his Std. of Practice to look at only portions of a chimney or fireplace. Those Assn . stds do not incorporate a Level II. However, the duty for SOMEBODY to conduct a level II remains. So, I am recommending that those HIs who elect not to perform level IIs inform their client of this std., the limitations of their inspection per their industry stds. and that they recommend the client hire a competent person to perform a level II; sign and date here on my form. Then, when a defect or problem arises later, the HI has something to fall back on.............as long as the defect was not something that could be the proximate cause of the problem that a limited scope HI inspection *should* have revealed. Recommending a Level II does not exonerate a HI from an otherwise inadequate inspection. If you are required to comment on the condition of the exterior chimney and miss issues that were clearly visible at the time of your inspection then liability attaches to the HI.

As far as who is qualified to perform a level II, that battle rages on but suffice it to say the more training, experience and certifications related to chimneys and combustion venting the better. I am learning all the time--I hope you are, too.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Hi Mike,

There are several factors not mentioned that can affect the price of a chimney inspection, for example the number of flues or the number of appliances connected to those flues. This will also impact on the cost of ongoing sweeps.

If you would like more information on a chimney inspection check out our website Ace Chimney Pros. We service Chicago and the surrounding areas so we would be more than happy to help. If you would like to book in an inspection, a chimney sweep or simply want some advice on your chimney then navigate to the city you live in and either give us a call or drop us an email.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Brown; 06-28-2017 at 07:38 AM.