Scott Medlin Guest

Default Scorching around freon lines...

Hello all,

I found this where the freon lines entered the evaporator. Did this scorching happen during the installation? Has anybody seen this before? Thanks in advance for the help .

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Chip O'Brian Guest

Default Re: Scorching around freon lines...

Scott that is where the wana be HVAC tech sweated/soldered the copper lines looks like S____ no biggie.

Thats the same guy that will be at the home you inspected 2 months after closing, and he will inform the owner of all the things you should have caught during your inspection saying how we all have e & o and BLAHBALHBLAH
    So get ready

Just from the torch, no biggie but did they destroy the grommet? Air flow around the lines?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Brian E Kelly Guest

Just to be technical the lines were brazed and not soldered. (from what I see) There are some so called experts that sloder the joints but the should all be brazed.

Jon Randolph Guest

I'm not an HVAC guy but here is my $0.02.

Refrigerant lines can be brazed or soldered. If solder is used it has to be silver solder. As a home inspector I don't know if we can tell silver from lead, but I do know that silver solder requires a-lot of heat. I'm talking blow torch heat to do the job effectively. A MAPP torch can be used, but it takes a lot longer to get the connections hot enough.

If you suspect an unprofessional installation of the condensing unit, be sure to check the valves where the refrigerant lines tie into the system. They must remain cool during the soldering/brazing process. Most HVAC guys will wrap a wet rag around them as a heat sinc or have a water hose trickling to provide cooling for the valve. If the valve gets overheated, it can be damaged.