Default Real estate nightmare, BC couple tricked into buying unlivable house

I think Mr. Hunter is mistaken. Not all Realtors recommend reckless, or agent friendly inspectors, what a reckless thing to say!

Cash settlements from insurers paid with a confidentiality agreement signed?

Real estate nightmare, BC couple tricked into buying unlivable house - YouTube

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Real estate nightmare, BC couple tricked into buying unlivable house

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I think Mr. Hunter is mistaken. Not all Realtors recommend reckless, or agent friendly inspectors, what a reckless thing to say!

Cash settlements from insurers paid with a confidentiality agreement signed?

Real estate nightmare, BC couple tricked into buying unlivable house - YouTube
    Mr. Hunter appears to be one of those all-to-typical expert witness whores.

A buddy of mine was in court when the plaintiff's "expert witness" was running late. The judge asked who was the witness, and when told said, "Oh, Mr. W------t, we know what he'll say anyway so we can continue without him." Mr. Hunter sounds like that kind of expert.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Default Re: Real estate nightmare, BC couple tricked into buying unlivable house

I get so tired of hearing this! There's an inspector in Chicago that claims he gets almost no business from Realtor referrals, and questions the ethics of any home inspector that does.

I'm in a smaller town. Like many professions in many small towns, 20% of the Realtors do 80% of the business. That 20% has been here 10 or 20 years, and plans on being here another 10 or 20 years. They only refer who they consider the best home inspector, termite inspector, well and septic inspectors, etc. And that 20% is also 80% of my business.

A good Realtor will refer good inspectors. Unfortunately there are bad Realtors out there, and unfortunately there are bad inspectors for them to refer. I do believe they are in the minority. If that video was accurate, that home inspector should be, and likely soon will be, sued off the face of the planet.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Wait, do I have the facts right? They bought this house from the pictures they saw on the internet, and purchased it without even going to see it? Yikes, I've checked out houses and property, and it's NEVER as portrayed in an ad or verbal description by the seller. My favorite was when I drove about 7 hours one way to check out a property that had a beautiful picture of the view, and had a stream with great fishing. I met the seller, and we went to see that great view. It WAS great! Then the seller said to follow him about a 1/4 mile to the property. It was all downhill from there. The 'view' was NEAR the property. The 10 or so acres had been clear-cut and a mess was left behind. An active train tracks ran through the property, and yes, it DID appear to have good fishing as the crowd of locals seemed to be catching trout at 'their' favorite spot on what could be my private getaway. Oh, and the advertised easy access to interstate was true. It bordered the property.Then there was the house that needed a little 'TLC' according to the listing. We got directions from the agent and found the house. Hmmm, seems the agent hadn't been out for a while. The roof had caved in some time ago. We returned to see him, and oh yes, he was aware iof the roof condition. I asked why he was selling it as needing some TLC, and he replied that 'anything can be fixed.) True, but only a moron would try to save this rotted mess that was about to collapse. Buyer Beware!!

Was this the place?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Was this the place?
    No, that's the neighbour's duplex.

Haven't you guys ever inspected for out-of-town clients? Sure, they might have seen the place once, but they forget which of the 10 or 15 it was they decided to buy on the way home. They expect a detailed picture from the home inspector. A checklist report needs written comments, lots of them for an old house, or easier, send them a portfolio of pictures.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Was this the place?
    Ray!! That IS the place! Thanks for the pic! Wow, they did a total rehab on that place since I looked at it!! Where do I sign? I really like the curtain hanging out the front door, it's so welcoming! I see 'green' energy conserving A/C has been installed (no window glass).