Default Oven clearance to a fixed kitchen island

Hello all,

Is their a minimum clearance between an oven door and a fixed kitchen island? Is there a code requirement for safety?

I have a new home being built in South Texas, as it stands now, I will only have about 36" between the island and the cabinets that will hold a double oven. Once the oven doors are open, it will not leave a lot room to work, and it looks too tight to me and maybe even dangerous.

I will also only have about 40" between the Island and the dish washer and about 39" from the Island to the sink. Overall I think the island is just to big for space it's about 48" x 36", maybe bigger.

Thank you for your time and input.

Fish-man

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Oven clearance to a fixed kitchen island

The only code references for things like that is that appliances are to be installed in accordance with their listing, labeling, and installation instructions - basically meaning that whatever the installation instructions for the range says would apply. If you don't have the installation instructions, you can probably get them over the internet because you have the manufacturer and model right there on the appliance.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Are you thinking of a heat danger from the oven??? If so, I would not worry about it, you can stand in front of an oven all day long, and wood cabinets sit on both sides with no issues.

Not sure about the codes in Texas, think they use IRC and around here (WI) 30" is the required minimum. I think the IRC calls out for a 36" exit path, so the 36" you have would be fine, IMO and case pending manufacturers instructions.

Bottom line, it's your house and you have to live with it. If you are thinking it is a tight working space now, you might want to change things around. You could always get a measurement of the oven doors and see how close it feels when in the open position, or have the builder do a mock up.

Jerry Peck makes a good point.

But keep this in mind...you should be able to safely use the appliance. If you can't stand in front of it with the door open to safely remove hot items, it should be a concern. While codes and manufacturer installation guidelines are great resources, Texas (TREC) allows for the Opinion of the inspector.

So even without looking up the code or manufacturer instructions, you can voice your about its installation.

IMO

Last edited by Candace Whitsitt; 04-19-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: misspelling/wrong word

Pretty much the same here, go by appliance guidelines and what works for you. However, I designed kitchens for years, and your measurements, from that perspective, are tight. 36 to 42 inches are "rule of thumb" distances to be used in galley kitchens and around islands. If your stove is placed in an island and is across from another appliance or sink it should be moved or avoided, but if you cannot have the distance be closer to 42. Hope that helps

Thank you all for input and advice.

I spoke with the builder this morning, and we are going to go with a little smaller Island.

The new island will be about 24 X 48, giving us about 6 more inches on both sides, for a total of 42" between the island and the oven. On the other side, it will give us about 45 between the island and the sink.

Thank you all for your input and guidance.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The only code references for things like that is that appliances are to be installed in accordance with their listing, labeling, and installation instructions - basically meaning that whatever the installation instructions for the range says would apply. If you don't have the installation instructions, you can probably get them over the internet because you have the manufacturer and model right there on the appliance.
    In compliance with the manufacture's installations for new construction in jurisdictions that have adopted the International Property Maintenance Code:

404.2 Minimum room widths.
    A habitable room, other than a kitchen, shall be a minimum of 7 feet (2134 mm) in any plan dimension. Kitchens shall have a minimum clear passageway of 3 feet (914 mm) between counterfronts and appliances or counterfronts and walls.

Francis

you are good to go

jonathanclark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Hello all,

Is their a minimum clearance between an oven door and a fixed kitchen island? Is there a code requirement for safety?

I have a new home being built in South Texas, as it stands now, I will only have about 36" between the island and the cabinets that will hold a double oven. Once the oven doors are open, it will not leave a lot room to work, and it looks too tight to me and maybe even dangerous.

I will also only have about 40" between the Island and the dish washer and about 39" from the Island to the sink. Overall I think the island is just to big for space it's about 48" x 36", maybe bigger.

Thank you for your time and input.

Fish-man
    The distance from or the height of the floor to kitchen cabinet depends upon the house maker and others inside the home.The measures like 40 and 39 are standard measures and it has been widely used in many kitchens.So it depends upon the individual's concern and if you are comfortable about the size,then just go for it.

Services2.gif