Default Boiler Circulation Pump

Did something change in our electrical / mechanical codes requiring protection for the cable to the boiler circulating pump? I've seen this 3 times in the past few weeks, where I would normally see type MC cable.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Boiler Circulation Pump

I saw another one today. Anyone have an idea? I don't mind calling out stuff even if it's just a good idea, but I hate to look like a clown if the electrician comes back to me.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Jim

It all depends on what the manufacture instructions/manual require.

However I did see what appears to be a kink/cut/damage on the cord just done from the motor.

I had an experience where a oil-fired furnace and a oil-fired HW heater where each had a loop of Romex instead of MC. When I questioned the local inspector he said that protection was not required as it was only a residence and not a commercial installation. Go figure. Was there any inspection performed on the installations?

That looks like UF and under the 2011 NEC Art. 340, UF is installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. IMO, you could not wire it this way per the NEC, no protection from damage, looks like it just hangs down unsecured, does not follow any building structure, and just looks like sloppy work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post
    That looks like UF and under the 2011 NEC Art. 340, UF is installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. IMO, you could not wire it this way per the NEC, no protection from damage, looks like it just hangs down unsecured, does not follow any building structure, and just looks like sloppy work.
    I think that is an "appliance cord", whether or not it is approved for installation on that pump (the pump would need to be listed for cord and plug installation) is not known - some of those pumps are, others are not.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com