Default Brownback vetoes home inspection bill; Realtors, inspectors cry foul

I think this is a big deal and a step in the right direction.

"In a news release, Brownback said he found little evidence of unscrupulous home inspectors to warrant government involvement and fees on private industry. He said the state attorney general’s office is better equipped than the board for investigations and assistance."

Too bad, so sad for Realtor Association and inspection schools.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Brownback vetoes home inspection bill; Realtors, inspectors cry foul

This is exactly what research shows to be the case in Ontario which is thinking of licensing.
    There are far fewer law suits involving home inspectors and BBB stats back up the fact that home inspections have far fewer complaints than renovation companies, roofers, et ceteras.

Default Re: Brownback vetoes home inspection bill; Realtors, inspectors cry foul

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    This is exactly what research shows to be the case in Ontario which is thinking of licensing.
    There are far fewer law suits involving home inspectors and BBB stats back up the fact that home inspections have far fewer complaints than renovation companies, roofers, et ceteras.
    Exactly. It's all about control of inspectors by real estate associations and a cash cow for inspection training and continuing education schools. Self-regulation and a free market have been working here in GA. Home buyers who got burned by bad inspectors likely just failed to do their homework or sought out the cheapest one.

- - - Updated - - -

Hank

Could agree more.

I do have concerns about the coziness of some of the inspection reporting providers being involved with the associations at the governance level and as service providers to the relative members of their services.

Its not the inspectors who need licensing at least in Ontario its the people running the associations and the relationships and as you point out whose profiting from it all.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    Exactly. It's all about control of inspectors by real estate associations and a cash cow for inspection training and continuing education schools. Self-regulation and a free market have been working here in GA. Home buyers who got burned by bad inspectors likely just failed to do their homework or sought out the cheapest one.

- - - Updated - - -
    Well stated bro....

About a decade back, the contractors in Virginia tried to get licensing passed in the General Assembly - failed in sub-committee because they couldn't provide evidence of need.

A few years later the Virginia Association of Realtors tried - again failed to get out of sub-committee due to no evidence of need was provided.

The Virginia Association of Real Estate Inspectors (VAREI) exists to monitor the general assembly for prospective bills that could affect the industry in the state. We have been told that VAR is planning to bring back the legislative attempt. Due to the economy the past several years, nothing has been brought up by the realtors. Unless they are total dummies, when they come the next time we are sure they will be loaded with stories and witnesses of poor home inspections and the harm done to people by home inspectors.

Our membership is split in about half for and against licensing in the state. VAREI just wants to make sure any licensing program is created with, if not by, current state certified home inspectors; NOT real estate agents

The point of this is to warn you not to rest on the past. Keep watch and prepare for another attack.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Hank

Could agree more.

I do have concerns about the coziness of some of the inspection reporting providers being involved with the associations at the governance level and as service providers to the relative members of their services.

Its not the inspectors who need licensing at least in Ontario its the people running the associations and the relationships and as you point out whose profiting from it all.

Cheers,
    Speaking of relationships, one of my "regulars" won a Telesteps Ladder in a drawing at a Washington Realtors Association Conference in Seattle / Bellevue last week. The Ladder was provided by W.I.N. - World Inspection Network. He already got his finger pinched in it - a "sign" from above?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Speaking of relationships, one of my "regulars" won a Telesteps Ladder in a drawing at a Washington Realtors Association Conference in Seattle / Bellevue last week. The Ladder was provided by W.I.N. - World Inspection Network. He already got his finger pinched in it - a "sign" from above?
    Not to pic on any inspection outfit but "World" I guess that is so everyone thinks they are the biggest and bestest.

Next it will be Galaxy Inspection Network or Universe Inspection Network. And then of course the race is on to market the biggest and the mostest to the Realtors.

David Stoffer Guest

I am a Regestered Kansas Home Inspectior

I encourage you to go to the Kansas Home Inspectors web site and read the regestration bill

There was never a reason for regestration then or now

In the past two years there has been three complants filed. Two were filed the same day aginst the same inspector for not sending the Pre-Inspection Notice and the third was against an inspector doing inspection in Kansas and not having the Kansas Regestration

Again read the bill as we/Kansas regesterd home Inspectors have good protection!!!!!!

Limited time to file a lawsuit
    Limited libilaty

After being under the Kansas Regetration Act I am personaly in favor of it

Please before I receice your coments about anything READ THE BILL.

Sorry about the spelling, can't use this spell checker

- - - Updated - - -

I am a Regestered Kansas Home Inspectior

I encourage you to go to the Kansas Home Inspectors web site and read the regestration bill

There was never a reason for regestration then or now

In the past two years there has been three complants filed. Two were filed the same day aginst the same inspector for not sending the Pre-Inspection Notice and the third was against an inspector doing inspection in Kansas and not having the Kansas Regestration

Again read the bill as we/Kansas regesterd home Inspectors have good protection!!!!!!

Limited time to file a lawsuit
    Limited libilaty

After being under the Kansas Regetration Act I am personaly in favor of it

Please before I receice your coments about anything READ THE BILL.

Sorry about the spelling, can't use this spell checker

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I thought it would put my name and info in the last post

David Stoffer
    Stoffer Inspections,L.C.
    Lawrence, KS
    email: dave@stofferinspections.com
    www.stofferinspections.com

- - - Updated - - -

David Stoffer
    Stoffer Inspections,L.C.
    Lawrence, KS

- - - Updated - - -

David Stoffer
    Stoffer Inspections,L.C.
    Lawrence, KS

David you need to clean that post up a little it is too difficult to read!!

I do not have a dog in the licensing hunt, I have worked under home inspection licensing since 2001 in a few states. So I have seen some of the benefits from working in a "good" licensing environment.

One major reason for not being able to track complaints or even find anyone who has had a problem is that those states who do not license home inspectors really do not offer the consumer an easy way to file a complaint. The average person is not going to wade trough a states website to find the AG consumer complaint department. So without an easy way for a consumer to complain, you have no complaints or very few of them.....

Licensing does not get rid of bad inspectors nor does it guarantee all inspections will be good. A good licensing program can establish guidelines, rules and regulations to protect the home inspector and the consumer. Yes, the law if good will protect the inspector as well as the consumer.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com