Thread: closets

Default closets

I can't find anywhere in the irc where it specifically talks about closet dimensions. does anyone have information on required closet heights and dimensions?

thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: closets

Closets are not required by IRC therefore there is no discussion about min or max sizes. There are limitiations or specfications for things like distances to light fixtures, ventilation if being used for mechanical equipment, etc. but no min or max size.

Supposed you wanted to store your collection of fishing poles. Only needs to be about 6 inches deep. Add some shelves and it becomes a giant medicine cabinet. Remove the door and it becomes an alcove to display art. Not very useful for hanging clothes but not all closets are for hanging clothes.

Not habitable space so IRC does not really care.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

In agreement with Bruce I add that closets are a MLS- realtor point of concern not the IRC or home inspectors

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

thanks. that would explain why i could not find info on them

I thought each bedroom had to have a closet to be considered a bedroom? If that is true you could make it any size to meet the requirement? Not arguing just trying to understand.
    I'm going to answer my own post again. I really should look this stuff up and then reply to thread. What I found is that the closet is not a code requirement but is related to livability:

What Makes a Room a Bedroom? - Bob Vila

Last edited by Tom Rees; 05-03-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    I thought each bedroom had to have a closet to be considered a bedroom?...
    I think that is the rule used by appraisers and MLS folks.

I guess it is similar to the conditioned space connections between rooms to be considered part of the same structure (e.g., your 2000sqft home plus 500sqft bonus room over garage can't be sold as a 2500sqft home unless those two are connected via conditioned space)...

A lot of old houses had no closets when built, you had an armoire. At my grandmas house they had a "store bought one" in their room, the other bedrooms had homemade ones.

Ryan,
    NEC 410.8 Luminaires (Fixtures) in Clothes Closets contains language describing clearances of fixtures within closets. The IRC E3903.11 reflects the same language.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Cierocki View Post
    Ryan,
    NEC 410.8 Luminaires (Fixtures) in Clothes Closets contains language describing clearances of fixtures within closets. The IRC E3903.11 reflects the same language.
    So if a closet is ( not required ) present and has lighting in it then these requirements must be meet.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McIntyre View Post
    A lot of old houses had no closets when built, you had an armoire. At my grandmas house they had a "store bought one" in their room, the other bedrooms had homemade ones.
    At one point in the US, homes were taxed based on the number of rooms. Closets were considered a room, therefore a higher tax rate. Many Victorian homes dont have closets. This is one potential answer to a lack of closets.

Secondly, people only had one set of clothing. Two at most. You are wearing one set and washing the other. Who needs a closet when you only have one set of clothing? Only in the last hundred years have people routinely had more than 2 sets of clothing.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."