Jeremy Fuhriman Guest

Default I believe it's a flu liner issue, not sure what's causing all the moisture

I have an area of wall about 6ft x 4ft that is retaining moisture. My chimney is on the outside of the wall. I have had it professionally capped with concrete, new roof, tuck pointing, flashing and new gutters but nothing seems to stop the moisture coming through the wall. It is constant and seems to be getting worse, when I put my hand on the wall the plaster is wet and comes off on my hand. I have a Tru-Lite chimney liner for my flu, it was installed in 2006, could a flu liner come apart and the gases cause condensation to this extent?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: I believe it's a flu liner issue, not sure what's causing all the moisture

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Fuhriman View Post
    I have an area of wall about 6ft x 4ft that is retaining moisture. My chimney is on the outside of the wall. I have had it professionally capped with concrete, new roof, tuck pointing, flashing and new gutters but nothing seems to stop the moisture coming through the wall. It is constant and seems to be getting worse, when I put my hand on the wall the plaster is wet and comes off on my hand. I have a Tru-Lite chimney liner for my flu, it was installed in 2006, could a flu liner come apart and the gases cause condensation to this extent?

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Photos would be helpful of the flashing and cap on the chimney. Water is leaking in from somewhere to cause it to be as wet as you are saying.

FYI, it is Flue...... Flu is what you try to avoid catching!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: I believe it's a flu liner issue, not sure what's causing all the moisture

None of us want the flu,but the chimney,flashings,etc may be the problem.

Like Scott says; post some pictures. Also include where the roof meets the chimney.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

It could be condensation from a LPG appliance.
    What are you burning? Is it a fireplace or an appliance?
    Does the wall feel colder than other walls in the house?
    When does the wall get wet?