Thread: IR Business

Default IR Business

Do any of you with IR cameras market thermography beyond Home Inspections?

What other areas do you cover and how do you market them?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: IR Business

Quote Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
    Do any of you with IR cameras market thermography beyond Home Inspections?

What other areas do you cover and how do you market them?
    I have an IR company dedicated to IR only.Chicago Infrared Thermal Imaging Inc. | Certified Commercial & Industrial Thermographers
    It takes years to get the right training/certifications/experience, but it continues to grow. Commercial electrical IR inspections, commercial flat roof inspections, moisture intrusion investigations, energy loss scans etc. Many jobs are bid at $150/hr. with a 4 hour minimum charge, many times I have no other contractors to bid against. All work comes from my website or through referrals.

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

Quote Originally Posted by Linas Dapkus View Post
    I have an IR company dedicated to IR only.Chicago Infrared Thermal Imaging Inc. | Certified Commercial & Industrial Thermographers
    It takes years to get the right training/certifications/experience, but it continues to grow. Commercial electrical IR inspections, commercial flat roof inspections, moisture intrusion investigations, energy loss scans etc. Many jobs are bid at $150/hr. with a 4 hour minimum charge, many times I have no other contractors to bid against. All work comes from my website or through referrals.
    I could not agree more.
    myself having less that a years experience do see how it helps me. Visually & practically having decades of prior hands on work IE Repairing the full envelope the past 17 years and mixed related general building 20 years as well can see further into a system, component of structure.

The 3D imagery with MC and temperature all senses are developing for a fully hypothesis to be unveiled.
    The color pallets plus unique software as in my case having an entry level camera, the software in in the computer does the majority of the work for moving detail such as level and spam see the camera does not have the software installed.
    myself I do not mind for opening up the once hidden image further into focus is for the office for now until as explained the years of experience allow me to move further..
    The image below is MC in an ceiling. Look at the detail from an entry level that was not so entry level 4 years previous.
    fluke 2.JPG

I still marvel at the technology and agree with what you are saying about price and advancement into the future.
    Its a great instrument and moving Home Inspection Industry in the right direction.
    One quick note on commercial and have no conflicts of interest other than others may wish to educate.
    NACBI well be starting a course on commercial inspections. I just thought it was worth the mention.
    all the best.
    Thank you.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 05-03-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: I am not wearing my glasses. Please excuse me all.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Stephan perry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    I could not agree more.
    myself having less that a years experience do see how it helps me. Visually & practically having decades of prior hands on work IE Repairing the full envelope the past 17 years and mixed related general building 20 years as well can see further into a system, component of structure.

The 3D imagery with MC and temperature all senses are developing for a fully hypothesis to be unveiled.
    The color pallets plus unique software as in my case having an entry level camera, the software in in the computer does the majority of the work for moving detail such as level and spam see the camera does not have the software installed.
    myself I do not mind for opening up the once hidden image further into focus is for the office for now until as explained the years of experience allow me to move further..
    The image below is MC in an ceiling. Look at the detail from an entry level that was not so entry level 4 years previous.
    fluke 2.JPG

I still marvel at the technology and agree with what you are saying about price and advancement into the future.
    Its a great instrument and moving Home Inspection Industry in the right direction.
    One quick note on commercial and have no conflicts of interest other than others may wish to educate.
    NACBI well be starting a course on commercial inspections. I just thought it was worth the mention.
    all the best.
    Thank you.
    Will be taking the Level 1 class in a few months and plan to start a business . Will this training be enough to start you think? or should I get my level 2 first?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan perry View Post
    Will be taking the Level 1 class in a few months and plan to start a business . Will this training be enough to start you think? or should I get my level 2 first?
    Let me start off by saying I do not have a level one certification. I may not be the best suited to answer your question.
    IMO you will have what you need. Once your business is growing and you see traction from your infrared inspections, you can make many choices on which direction you wish to take your company.
    Best regards Steven. Good luck in all your endeavours.

Anyone else care to help Steven?

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan perry View Post
    I think previous posts (prior to Stephan's post) answered his question, however, this would be my answer:
    - Not enough information is given in the question.
    - If your IR business is going to be for use in home inspections, Level 1 should be fine.
    - If your IR business is going to be for other uses, commercial, anything IR, then you probably need Level 1, some experience, Level 2, some more experience, and maybe even Level 3 - all depends on how far you want to take your IR business.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I think previous posts (prior to Stephan's post) answered his question, however, this would be my answer:
    - Not enough information is given in the question.
    - If your IR business is going to be for use in home inspections, Level 1 should be fine.
    - If your IR business is going to be for other uses, commercial, anything IR, then you probably need Level 1, some experience, Level 2, some more experience, and maybe even Level 3 - all depends on how far you want to take your IR business.
    Ditto.

I don't advertise that I have an IR camera. I pull it out when I have a specific suspicion that I want to further investigate. But if you are going to advertise that you Have IR--Will Travel, then you better have the expertise and training to support your claim. You may be hired specifically for that IR and your client will expect you to be a bonafide thermographer.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Ditto.

I don't advertise that I have an IR camera. I pull it out when I have a specific suspicion that I want to further investigate. But if you are going to advertise that you Have IR--Will Travel, then you better have the expertise and training to support your claim. You may be hired specifically for that IR and your client will expect you to be a bonafide thermographer.
    Ditto, Ditto...We have an IR business and do IR jobs. I 've done enough to know what I like and what makes us money. IMO the money is in insurance and commercial business. That said, to be a player we had to make significant finical investments into the business.