Default soot? on radon fan discharge

Black soot, or something, at joints in radon system discharge. Previous motor burned up?

radon soot2.jpg

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: soot? on radon fan discharge

Having technical difficulties. If you see a fireplace photo with this thread, ignore it. I can't seem to get rid of it.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I thought that radon vent piping had to be permanently sealed at joints.

Knowing very little about radon and even less about radon mitigation ... I can only ask the obvious ...

1) Is rain downspout material suitable for radon discharge duct?

2) Shouldn't radon discharge duct have the joints reversed from those shown in the photos? One would think that it would not be desirable to allow the radon to escape at each joint as the discharge pipe passed by building openings or even siding which is not sealed.

Just some questions from an inquiring mind.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Knowing very little about radon and even less about radon mitigation ... I can only ask the obvious ...

1) Is rain downspout material suitable for radon discharge duct?

2) Shouldn't radon discharge duct have the joints reversed from those shown in the photos? One would think that it would not be desirable to allow the radon to escape at each joint as the discharge pipe passed by building openings or even siding which is not sealed.

Just some questions from an inquiring mind.
    I've seen Radon discharge pipe in a much larger sized downspout. It looks better than the 4" round pipe in my opinion. The joints should be sealed.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Langhorn View Post
    I've seen Radon discharge pipe in a much larger sized downspout. It looks better than the 4" round pipe in my opinion. The joints should be sealed.
    Jeff
    Shouldn't the joints be reversed form those shown?

In addition to sealing the joints, reversing the joints from that shown would create less leakage and would not allow water to run down the exterior of the duct/pipe and into the joints, where the water then runs down the inside of the duct/pipe and to the fan, where I doubt the water does much good when it gets into bearings, motor windings, blower wheels, etc.

Or am I wrong in that thinking? Would you pour water down into the blower fan of a furnace or air handler? I would not - unless I was testing it to see what damage it would do.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Is there a furnace in the same room as the radon unit? If so, I would suspect the whole installation is kaka.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Shouldn't the joints be reversed form those shown?

In addition to sealing the joints, reversing the joints from that shown would create less leakage and would not allow water to run down the exterior of the duct/pipe and into the joints, where the water then runs down the inside of the duct/pipe and to the fan, where I doubt the water does much good when it gets into bearings, motor windings, blower wheels, etc.

Or am I wrong in that thinking? Would you pour water down into the blower fan of a furnace or air handler? I would not - unless I was testing it to see what damage it would do.
    I agree Jerry, joints should be reversed and sealed. The fans are designed to handle some
    water. Some systems have a water bypass tube. Most Radon discharge pipes do not have a cap on the top.
    Jeff

Richard Clemons Guest

Radon PFE (Pressure Field Extension) should schedule 40 or greater pvc or radon approved insulated type guttering. This is not approved guttering. The seams are not sealed and create resistant to flow. This should be replaced with proper PFE; cracks in the floor should be sealed and furnace check for back draft situation. This is why IL require license and CEU's to get and maintain radon license. It's costly and dangerous if improperly done.

Radon is only one soil gas that gets discharged from the end of the pipe. I have seen many blackened areas in Radon treatments. Moisture also is discharged and causes discoloration. I agree that the downspouts are below approved quaility.