Default Step Flashing Curiosity

I never seen step flashing installed on the back side of exterior siding. The picture shows the the roof step flashing at the point where the garage roof abuts the gable end of the house. The plywood sheathing is the exterior finished siding of cedar T1-11 siding. Noting the water stains on the plywood, the siding must go down to the roof surface. The exterior cedar trim running down the roof does and is rotting in places where it was in direct contact with the roof surface. I want to call it as an improper installation and call for correction of the flashing installation and repair of damaged siding and trim. But, when you think about it when the sheathing is nothing but foam or Thermo-ply material, there isn't much difference. P001A.jpg

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Step Flashing Curiosity

They should have trimmed the sheathing so it was 2" above the bottom of those flashings. I can see them flashing that way for a decorative plywood sheathing, one layer.
    They should have used a flashing with a higher rise than what they have there.

I think you are right to call it out for a repair. It will probably go to the bottom of the list, fix it when the rot gets worse.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

That flashing is wrong. Plywood sheathing isn't meant to be exposed to recurring water and it appears that the bottom of the plywood would be getting wet on a regular basis.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I never seen step flashing installed on the back side of exterior siding. The picture shows the the roof step flashing at the point where the garage roof abuts the gable end of the house. The plywood sheathing is the exterior finished siding of cedar T1-11 siding. Noting the water stains on the plywood, the siding must go down to the roof surface. The exterior cedar trim running down the roof does and is rotting in places where it was in direct contact with the roof surface. I want to call it as an improper installation and call for correction of the flashing installation and repair of damaged siding and trim. But, when you think about it when the sheathing is nothing but foam or Thermo-ply material, there isn't much difference.
    Stuart,

The reason you may not have seen step flashing on the back side of siding is because there should be a building paper between the siding and studs. Stains on the siding are common due to capillary action. Not sure about the lap requirements of the step flashing.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I never seen step flashing installed on the back side

But, when you think about it when the sheathing is nothing but foam or Thermo-ply material, there isn't much difference. P001A.jpg
    Yes Much, There is Much Difference if the Step fashing is incorrectly installed under and not on top of a proper moisture barrier.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 05-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I see this from time to time where the T1 is the siding and sheathing, done it myself. Like others pointed out it is not done proper, larger step flashing should have been used and the T1 should have been 1-2 inches above the roofing. I’ve also done a saw kerf and installed counter flashing, thought it would help a roofer down the road, but think that causes more of a maintenance issue with caulking it in and maintaining it.

I tried installing a 2” gap one time and the owner had a fit about the gap he could see, tried to explain the reason for it, but to no avail, 1” it was. I was going to run Cedar trim anyway, so the T1 stayed at 2” and set the cedar at 1” and done. I would have installed blocking between the studs for the step flashing to push against, as well as the T1, and you would have not seen how it was done…

Another thing to consider: the flashing may have been fine with only the initial roof surface installed, but an overlay narrows the distance between the roof surface and the drip edge, making is easier for dirt and debris to collect under the drip edge which leads to wicking. How many roof surfaces were there?

I never seen step flashing installed on the back side of exterior siding. The picture shows the the roof step flashing at the point where the garage roof abuts the gable end of the house. The plywood sheathing is the exterior finished siding of cedar T1-11 siding. Noting the water stains on the plywood, the siding must go down to the roof surface. The exterior cedar trim running down the roof does and is rotting in places where it was in direct contact with the roof surface. I want to call it as an improper installation and call for correction of the flashing installation and repair of damaged siding and trim. But, when you think about it when the sheathing is nothing but foam or Thermo-ply material, there isn't much difference. P001A.jpg
    There are a number of things wrong with that flashing. First the flashing only appears to go up the wall about 2 to 2 1/2 inches. The flashing should be at least 3" by 5 " with the 5" up the wall.

Second the flashing is not properly supported along the bottom. Note in the photos how the up slope side is hanging down. That will allow water to run back into the attic.

Also the flashing does not have enough overlap. That 2 inch lap will not stop wind driven rain from blowing back up past the next piece of flashing.

The flashing should also be against a solid backing or blocking. That supports the flashing and gives you something to nail the top edge to. Notice in the first photo, the second piece of flashing to the left of the 2X4 is leaning into the attic.

As to the water stains on the plywood. If the bottom edge of the plywood is not sealed, water will wick up into the plywood even if there is adequate space between the siding and the roof. By the look of the photos, I would not expect to see much, if any gap on the outside.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post
    I would have installed blocking between the studs for the step flashing to push against,
    Blocking! That's what's missing! Thanks Mike.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Blocking! That's what's missing! Thanks Mike.
    Now Quit That !

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 05-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.