Question Laser measuring tape

Looking to buy a laser measuring tape. I shopped quickly online and the good ones seem to be around $200. I have no idea which make is better then the next. I was wandering which one are you guys using and are satisfied with?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Laser measuring tape

I don't have a need for a laser tape measure. I rarely take measurement during an inspection other than using them in photos of garage door sensors or controls (too high or too low).
    I do have a 25' tape in my bag I lend to clients so they can measure rooms.
    But $200 for a tape seems a little excessive, unless I had a big use for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I don't have a need for a laser tape measure. I rarely take measurement during an inspection other than using them in photos of garage door sensors or controls (too high or too low).
    About 80 % of my home inspections are for financial institutions and now I have taken on work for Insurance companies and they are simple and quick. No tools, only a pen/paper and measuring tape. I have to measure the house and every room in it then it's square footage. So I do need to invest in a decent laser tape. Robert Foster is considering the following Bosch Laser Distance and Angle Measurer GLM 80 and to-date I think it is the best one. Still shopping. Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I have a bottom-of-the-line Bosch. It was about $100-150 at HD. It works great. It does not have any fancy features, but it is small, accurate, and easy to use.

The entry level Stabila is great. Small good features, good backlight, fits into a shirt pocket.
    The Leica's D5, 8, etc are all great but sort of bigger and bulkier. Too many buttons and the backlight isn't as good.
    I prefer my Stabila over my Leica

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Johnson has a laser measure that triangulates height etc. measures hands free and more. I got mine for $100 new with case at Menards. It works great.

Rick Sabatino
    Sabatino Consulting, Inc.
    Oak Park, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    Looking to buy a laser measuring tape. I shopped quickly online and the good ones seem to be around $200. I have no idea which make is better then the next. I was wandering which one are you guys using and are satisfied with?
    HI Gilbert!
    You need something that has a video sighting, because you can't see the laser dot very far.
    The Leica Disto series (D5, etc) is the only one that I found works outside in 50 - 150 meter ranges (you need a tripod for steady shots even then) Closer in, this unit gives more options for measurements than any other I've used... ( mining engineering...)

I have an extra one, like new condition, that you can have for a reasonable price
    bobsheldon3@gmail.com
    Maui, HI
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post

Gilbert,
    I agree with Bob from Hawaii, the Leica series is great. I own a D2, and have used it extensively in inspections of all kinds. It produces linear, square footage and volume calculations with push button speed. It cost me $125 three years ago.
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Money View Post
    Gilbert,
    I agree with Bob from Hawaii, the Leica series is great. I own a D2, and have used it extensively in inspections of all kinds. It produces linear, square footage and volume calculations with push button speed. It cost me $125 three years ago.
    Walter
    That's what I wanted to know. Thanks