Default Garage attic trusses

Does anyone know if installing a hanging storage system from the garage roof trusses is acceptable or if the trusses are rated to hold the additional weight.

thanks,

ryan

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Garage attic trusses

Light storage, sure, medium weight, maybe, heavy storage, no way.

In general, trusses are designed to carry the weight of the roof and the ceiling, with some allowances for snow load, etc. So go ahead and hang bicycles, a canoe, a few skis, Xmas decorations.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ryan stouffer View Post
    Does anyone know if installing a hanging storage system from the garage roof trusses is acceptable or if the trusses are rated to hold the additional weight.

thanks,

ryan
    If the load is not excessive, and if you do not damage the bottom chords by installing large bolts, you will probably be ok. I assume the storage system will hang from about four points. These will be point loads, which are not ideal. Spreading the load across several trusses and connecting the system close to chord/web joints would be advisable.

If in doubt, contact the truss manufacturer to see if the trusses were originally designed for storage loads. Not very likely, but it's always a possibility.

Had a neighbor in a former subdivision who regularly pulled engine blocks in his garage, using a trolley system supported by his garage attic's trusses. Claimed they were designed to take the loads. He was always doing weird stuff, though--like growing sod on his concrete patio slab, just to show it could be done.

generally the bottom chord is rated for #10 per sq ft
    From a practical sense the bottom chord should be used for light weight items bikes holiday items etc.
    If you see it being used as a engine hoist there is a problem
    Use some discretion

Hi, ALL &

I'd be doing something else like sistering matching lumber on both sides of the upper members, then through-bolting and hanging from that...

Cheers !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Just don't go overboard with the through-bolts. Making each truss look like Swiss cheese will render it somewhat useless for supporting any loads. I'd use heavy deck screws myself (instead of through-bolts), staggered to avoid grain-line concentrations, and combined with a generous helping of construction adhesive.

[QUOTE=Glenn Duxbury;226080]Hi, ALL &

I'd be doing something else like sistering matching lumber on both sides of the upper members, then through-bolting and hanging from that...

Upper member attachment indeed! Trusses are designed to brace against vertical dead loads applied along the top of truss.
    Maui Bob

[QUOTE=robert sheldon;226152]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Duxbury View Post
    Hi, ALL &

Upper member attachment indeed! Trusses are designed to brace against vertical dead loads applied along the top of truss.
    Maui Bob
    Trusses are fairly complex to design. They distribute load with each member, with members forming a series of triangles. So sistering just the upper members may not adequately increase the load bearing capacity of the system.

Trusses are an engineered design,I would not assume any thing unless an engineer OKed it
    Hanging items from one cord,changes the design load

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Janssen View Post
    Trusses are an engineered design,I would not assume any thing unless an engineer OKed it
    Hanging items from one cord,changes the design load
    EEK!
    As a recovering engineer, I dare not respond!

Maui Bob

In Ontario you would not be allowed to attach any structure to engineered roof trusses with out a stamped design detail from engineer. Trusses are designed for a particular purpose and under Part 4 of the Ontario Building Code, Structural Design, you are not allowed to use any structural item for any other purpose than for which it was designed. View article on truss inspections

Last edited by Roger Frost; 07-18-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Adding link to article