Default Bark Mulch & Termites.

I have a neighbour who just moved in and he told me that his house inspector suggested that it wasn't a good idea to have bark mulch around the foundation plantings near the house as it could attract termites. He's now taking out all the bark mulch around his house.

This may be true but is it something you would put in your report?

Cheers,
    Doug

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Checkpoint Home Inspections
    www.checkpointinspections.ca

Default Re: Bark Mulch & Termites.

Yes it should be put in the report if the house is located in termite known areas.

Does landscape mulch lead to termites in your home? | Horticulture and Home Pest News

The termite inspectors in my area usually put this in their reports.

Russel Ray Guest

I would put it in my reports here in San Diego.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Campone View Post
    I have a neighbour who just moved in and he told me that his house inspector suggested that it wasn't a good idea to have bark mulch around the foundation plantings near the house as it could attract termites. He's now taking out all the bark mulch around his house.

This may be true but is it something you would put in your report?

Cheers,
    Doug
    I do not do the termite inspection. I let the termite folks take care of all that . Actually, wood destroying insects and conducive conditions are comments only licensed termite, WDI inspectors, can talk about here.

No termite inspection and I may discuss certain possible aspects having to do with the critters. If they decide, against my recommendations, to get a WDI done, then I am not going to give them one for free.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 05-13-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: sent from phone, nuff said

The problem is not the material used. It's the moisture held under the material that attracts the termites. Also even if a treatment has been done they can bridge over the mulch with their tubes and not touch the treated soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I do not do the termite inspection. I let the termite folks take care of all that . Actually, wood destroying insects and conducive conditions are comments only licensed termite, WDI inspectors, can talk about here.

No termite inspection and I may discuss certain possible aspects having to do with the critters. If they decide, against my recommendations, to get a WDI done, then I am not going to give them one for free.