Default Emergency escape and rescue opening

Looking for comments and opinions on this setup. Its basically a double latched gate across a second story set of windows in a bedroom.

I am concerned because it requires some contortion to reach the latches and they both have to be manipulated simultaneously in order to get this contraption open. This just seems overly difficult to manage.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Emergency escape and rescue opening

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Stojanik View Post
    Looking for comments and opinions on this setup. Its basically a double latched gate across a second story set of windows in a bedroom.

I am concerned because it requires some contortion to reach the latches and they both have to be manipulated simultaneously in order to get this contraption open. This just seems overly difficult to manage.
    Taken from IRC 1025.4

Operational constraints. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational
    from the inside of the room without the use of keys or tools. Bars, grilles, grates or
    similar devices are permitted to be placed over emergency escape and rescue openings
    provided the minimum net clear opening size complies with Section 1025.2 and such
    devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool or
    force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue
    opening. Where such bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are installed in existing
    building, smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with Section 907.2.10 regardless
    of the valuation of the alteration.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Default Re: Emergency escape and rescue opening

Fry Room 1. Fry Room 2 (if there are more than one)

Followed verbally with 'Would you like fries with that? - because that is what is going to happen'.

That is what I used to call them and tell them - and it did get their attention. (not that they did anything about it, but at least I did get their attention)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com