Default Windows in a garage addition.

Inspected a 1969 house today that added a garage to the original house. The original house did not have one. There are two window openings now inside the garage from the original house, one from the dining room and one from a rear utility room. Is this proper? Or should the window openings be closed for fire separation between the house and garage?

Thanks, Jim

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Windows in a garage addition.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Inspected a 1969 house today that added a garage to the original house. The original house did not have one. There are two window openings now inside the garage from the original house, one from the dining room and one from a rear utility room. Is this proper? Or should the window openings be closed for fire separation between the house and garage?

Thanks, Jim
    You are correct, windows (most likely) do not provide separation from the garage.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Is this proper?
    Nope, not at all.

Or should the window openings be closed for fire separation between the house and garage?
    Yep, absolutely, no 'most likely' about it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks, Jim
    Not to pick on you, but I hope you already knew the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Nope, not at all.

Yep, absolutely, no 'most likely' about it.
    Hey Jerry
    I put in the "most likely" for your benefit.
    I recall a similar discussion about a door with glass in it approve for separation in the garage.
    Seems that some companies do make glass in doors approved for use in the garage.
    I thought it "likely" that a window may also be available.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 05-03-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Facilities Guest

Thanks, Jim
    I know in my area this is not allowed, you must have fire code dry wall between the house and the garage area. I am surprised it past inspection when they added the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Hey Jerry
    I put in the "most likely" for your benefit.
    I recall a similar discussion about a door with glass in it approve for separation in the garage.
    Seems that some companies do make glass in doors approved for use in the garage.
    I thought it "likely" that a window may also be available.
    I remember that thread and still say "Yep, absolutely, no 'most likely' about it." as the "likelihood" of finding a door which is 20 minute rated with approved glass in it installed in a garage to house door is somewhere between slim and none, that your chances of winning the lottery is much greater than finding one of those.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Facilities View Post
    I know in my area this is not allowed, you must have fire code dry wall between the house and the garage area. I am surprised it past inspection when they added the garage.
    Inspected? Some property owner upgrades are neither permitted or inspected.

Jerry
    I found the thread
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post213419

Nick asked about a door with glass located in the garage
    Several people, including myself, said not allowed.
    You said "Everyone who says it is not allowed is jumping the gun - it IS "allowed"."
    After some searching, it was found there are doors manufactured with glass that are approved.

Now
    I said "
    windows (most likely) do not provide separation from the garage."
    and you say "no most likely about it" (indicating a window is not allowed, under any condition)

I think the window most likely is not approved as separation in the garage. However, I do consider that there is a small possibility that an approved window could have been used.

S
    eems that you "are jumping the gun", or you misread the intent of my post.

Rick, Rick........kicking a hornet's nest although the stings aren't that bad.

It only took me about 30 seconds to find a fire rated door with a window, but you'll need to win that lottery to pay for it.

Ceco CHMD x HG28 70 x CYLCU18ga Door Metal 45 Min Fire - Pricefalls.com

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Jerry
    I found the thread
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post213419

Nick asked about a door with glass located in the garage
    Several people, including myself, said not allowed.
    You said "Everyone who says it is not allowed is jumping the gun - it IS "allowed"."
    After some searching, it was found there are doors manufactured with glass that are approved.

Now
    I said "
    windows (most likely) do not provide separation from the garage."
    and you say "no most likely about it" (indicating a window is not allowed, under any condition)

I think the window most likely is not approved as separation in the garage. However, I do consider that there is a small possibility that an approved window could have been used.

S
    eems that you "are jumping the gun", or you misread the intent of my post.
    I didn't go back and read that thread, but as I recall (dangerous to do at times) in that thread I was referring to it being "allowed" and in this thread I was referring to it "being there" - see Lon's post for a reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Rick, Rick........kicking a hornet's nest although the stings aren't that bad.

It only took me about 30 seconds to find a fire rated door with a window, but you'll need to win that lottery to pay for it.

Ceco CHMD x HG28 70 x CYLCU18ga Door Metal 45 Min Fire - Pricefalls.com
    Things are "allowed" which are not done in dwelling units because the cost is too high, conversely, things which are "not allowed" are done anyway even though the cost may be quite high ... figure that one out ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com