brianmiller Guest

Default staple fastneners

What is your all opinions of staple fastneners being used? Seems to be a big debate around here if they are allowed by manufactures , or not.

In this picture, they're being used to staple the underlayment and metal drip edge, wrong I know, but I was curious about the general used for them.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: staple fastneners

Is this pic from a mobile home? That's where I see stables used.
    Jeff

Thirty plus years ago, we were allowed to use them in Texas (maybe you still can) but because you can doesn't mean you should. At the time, I liked them because the staple guns were small and light and held a load of staples. And if you stapled a shingle down in the wrong position, you could easily pull it loose. And there's the problem, you can easily pull them loose. I suppose if you live in someplace where the wind doesn't blow (I've heard that its pretty calm in Medford, OR) then they'll be fine, but around here, the average shingle won't last the first month with staples.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

brianmiller Guest

No , for a house that was re-roofed here.

Even if staples are allowed in your area, those staples were applied incorrectly.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

When I was roofing (10+ years ago), most shingle manufacturers required nails, not staples.

Section R905 of the International Residential Code specifically requires nails (either galvanized, stainless, aluminum or copper) be used for attaching roofing shingles; meaning staples are not permitted by that code. I believe many state building codes also require nails instead of staples, and Oregon's Residential Specialty Code is one that happens to be identical to the IRC, word-for-word. That being said, many roofers in certain Oregon counties continue to use staples, since little effort is made by local building officials to require installers comply with current codes. When I recently asked a Lane County building department official why this was allowed to happen, he responded with "anything that shingle manufacturers are happy with, we're happy with."

Maybe extra-tenacious bubble gum will soon be added to the County's approved shingle fastener list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Langhorn View Post
    Is this pic from a mobile home? That's where I see stables used.
    Jeff
    Allowed for years but not in high wind areas and no longer allowed by roof mfg

Pete Curtis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Section R905 of the International Residential Code specifically requires nails (either galvanized, stainless, aluminum or copper) be used for attaching roofing shingles; meaning staples are not permitted by that code. I believe many state building codes also require nails instead of staples, and Oregon's Residential Specialty Code is one that happens to be identical to the IRC, word-for-word. That being said, many roofers in certain Oregon counties continue to use staples, since little effort is made by local building officials to require installers comply with current codes. When I recently asked a Lane County building department official why this was allowed to happen, he responded with "anything that shingle manufacturers are happy with, we're happy with."

Maybe extra-tenacious bubble gum will soon be added to the County's approved shingle fastener list.
    Don't give the sloppy roofers any ideas. I wonder though, would bubble gum contribute to shingle asphalt bubbling? Most roofers around my home turf (Omaha, Ne.) don't even know the IRC or IBC exist. Staples are not permitted for asphalt shingles, but they are still widely used.

Post Re: staple fastneners

The Michigan Residential Code does not allow staples. I believe that staple application is too difficult to control, resulting in warranty, longevity (service life), and wind resistance issues.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com