Default holes in wood siding

hey guys

i'm in colorado not alot of termite damage here,but came across this at 1974 wood siding home. i see alot of this from flicker damage {woodpeckers} but does this look like some insect damage

thanks

charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: holes in wood siding

Carpenter bees?

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

It looks something like carpenter bee tunnels that have been raided by a woodpecker. They drill all along the tunnel to get the grubs. However, I don't see the entry point made by the bee in the first place. This is typically an almost perfectly round hole about the diameter of a normal pencil.
    I might just not see them, or the bird might have destroyed them... or it might be something else altogether.

T-1-11 siding = plywood siding = voids between the veneer pieces in a single layer (or between multiple layers) = nice places for ants and other bugs to hide.

I had not considered woodpeckers but it certainly could be as they make that same horizontal pattern across trees, why not the same pattern when they hit the mother-lode in a void ... works for me.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That's not woodpecker damage, that's a friendly hello... Now this is woodpecker damage. Geyserville Siding 1.jpg

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    That's sawn lumber, not plywood like that T-1-11 is, and we have all seen plywood, and T-1-11, with voids.

I'm sticking with my "T-1-11 siding = plywood siding = voids between the veneer pieces in a single layer (or between multiple layers) = nice places for ants and other bugs to hide." thinking ... at least for now ... and until I can be convinced otherwise.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Woodpecker damage! Carpenter bees make a round hole that is a little smaller than a Dime.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's sawn lumber, not plywood like that T-1-11 is, and we have all seen plywood, and T-1-11, with voids.

I'm sticking with my "T-1-11 siding = plywood siding = voids between the veneer pieces in a single layer (or between multiple layers) = nice places for ants and other bugs to hide." thinking ... at least for now ... and until I can be convinced otherwise.
    Those voids are often in straight lines. This pattern resembles a typical void. Back in the day, I installed lots of T1-11 and sometimes a sheet came off the stack with this pattern. The surface veneer was so thin on some sheets that just handling the piece would cause a void area to open up. Painters would just caulk the holes and paint. A close examination can sometimes reveal if damage is from external causes or manufacturing imperfections.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I am thinking it is voids also. I have seen very similar defects in T-1-11.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Insects may have tunneled along the voids in the plywood, but they would not expose themselves to the light. there was probably an exterior force to break into the tunnels. I go with the woodpecker hunting for bugs scenario.

Those straight lines of holes in Gunnar's plank siding are interesting, no? If those are planks, then that woodpecker was lining up his holes pretty well. Good job.

Certainly it is possible the sheets could come from the factory like that, but I don't recall seeing that.

Last edited by John Kogel; 05-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

WoodyPeckers just love this type of siding. By nature, they peck (not Jerry) any wood-type material that has voids. 'There might be bugs in there' if it sounds hollow.