Default Salts on Carwlspace columns

Another crawlspace. This crawl was pretty dry and installers ran vapor barrier over piers. The columns still had the shingle underneath them but many of them had salt built up and what looked like moisture wicking. Not sure where the moisture came from as there were no signs of water in this crawlspace.

Any idea how / why this is happening?

//Rick

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Default Re: Salts on Carwlspace columns

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    Another crawlspace. This crawl was pretty dry and installers ran vapor barrier over piers. The columns still had the shingle underneath them but many of them had salt built up and what looked like moisture wicking. Not sure where the moisture came from as there were no signs of water in this crawlspace.

Any idea how / why this is happening?

//Rick
    You said there was no signs of moisture (water) in the crawlspace, but the vapor barrier is an indication that moisture WAS a concern at one time.
    Now that there is a VB moisture cannot escape except from around the columns.
    Moisture is wicking up the column and causing the effervescence seen on the concrete.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Rick,

I am in the Pacific NorthWest. Vapor Barriers are part of our building code. The column is sitting on top of the vapor barrier and shingle. I doubt there was any transfer of moisture from under the vapor barrier as I didn't see any breaks in the barrier.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I agree with Rick. Moisture most likely coming thru VB under post. The shingle would have torn the VB as it was driven tight. Vapor has no where to go but where there is a tear. We have some areas in California where you only have moisture in the winter months when the ground water is high.
    Could remove posts, bituthene the VB at pier and reinstall with shingle at post beam connection retained by post top hardware.

Default Re: Salts on Crawlspace columns

I can't quite tell if the column has depressed the vapor barrier and soil (lower elevation) but in my part of the world when a crawlspace is ventilated to outside and a vapor barrier is installed, the humid air and fog condenses on the cold surfaces and puddles on the vapor barrier. It is a mess.

We prefer closed crawlspaces with conditioned environment.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Salts on Crawlspace columns

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    We prefer closed crawlspaces with conditioned environment.
    We're going the same direction here.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

A simple test to determine if moisture (vapour) is coming up through the concrete is to take a 12"x12" piece of 6 mil plastic and tape it to the concrete floor with duct tape and leave for 48 hours. If vapour is coming up the underside of the plastic will have condensation forming.

I have seen a very similar thing and I assumed that there was a break in the VB. Also could have something to do with the make up of the concrete for the pier.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

There is a dark stain there as well, pic #1. If you had a sample of the white stuff, you could check it out in the daylight. Could be it is lime, put there to deter bug attacks.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca