Default Re: Inspector Sues Agent for Calling Him Idiot

$50,000 is all he is suing for?

He should be suing her for his retirement party, not only would she and the company get to throw the party, they get to provide his "retirement" fund in full.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So, if she proves that he is at least a partial idiot, does he still get some money from her?

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    So, if she proves that he is at least a partial idiot, does he still get some money from her?
    Yep, he should. Maybe that is why it is only for $50,000 ... only a partial idiot would ask for that little.

I would put the price ... MINIMUM ... at $1,000 for EACH of those 400-500 emails, with a realistic price being $10,000 for EACH of those 400-500 emails ... like I said - let her and the company she works for fund his retirement as quite clearly he could have lost $10,000 in business for each of those agents over the next 20 years (that's only 1 inspection per year per agent he would be claiming to lose) - the math works out as being "doable".

$50,000 is only $111 for each of those emails. ( $111 x 450 = $49,950)

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-30-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added bottom calculation
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yep, he should. Maybe that is why it is only for $50,000 ... only a partial idiot would ask for that little.
    I would remove that post Jerry; least you be next in the lawsuit!

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

"He did an inspection in Seward for the agent that sold one of my listings. I will never let him near one of my listings ever again. Total idiot"

Another happy listing agent. The bigger question may be , how is the agent going to prevent the inspector fro getting near one of the agents listing other than slander?

Then, on the other hand , how many times have you seen a report and said to your self, this was written by an idiot. Who has no idea of what he is doing or talking about. Or, is just collecting a fee and providing basically nothing to the client. or A report written for the agent's benefit.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Then, on the other hand , how many times have you seen a report and said to your self, this was written by an idiot. Who has no idea of what he is doing or talking about. Or, is just collecting a fee and providing basically nothing to the client. or A report written for the agent's benefit.

Just a thought...
    OK. if the inspector is the worst inspector around.
    Word of mouth is one thing. Maybe the agent could tell his associates, and customers.
    But broadcast email is way out of line.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The agent should have her licence suspended until such time as to the outcome of the litigation.

Sending of such an email strongly suggests to me the agent is much more concerned about her commission then she is her clients interests.

Obviously the agent was absent when Ethics 101 was being taught in realtor school.

I have had agents tell me they have removed inspectors brochures from their office due to the inspector blowing too many deals or the inspector in the opinion of the agent is a doofus or other creature beneath their self serving importance.

Another reason why I don't solicit the Realtors.

I know one agent who has gone her around her office calling me a "deal killer". Since, my business is better since she started doing that, I wonder if that's a commentary on how much her fellow agents think of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    I would remove that post Jerry; least you be next in the lawsuit!
    He would be better off to hire me to help him as I can justify him amending the amount of damages upward.

Then he would be a very smart inspector ... and we could split the award.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"He did an inspection in Seward for the agent that sold one of my listings. I will never let him near one of my listings ever again. Total idiot"

Another happy listing agent. The bigger question may be , how is the agent going to prevent the inspector fro getting near one of the agents listing other than slander?

Just a thought...
    I was wondering who would bring this up. How can a listing agent dictate who does the inspection? Once the buyer chooses an inspector, by referral, website, or however, how can the listing agent say 'no'. I'm a one man shop, and I would be the one calling the listing agent to provide access. If she said "I don't allow you near my listings", I would inform her the decision is not hers. If she gave me any grief, I would call my client and say apparently the listing agent doesn't' want you to hire a good quality inspector. My second call would be to an attorney.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I was wondering who would bring this up. How can a listing agent dictate who does the inspection? Once the buyer chooses an inspector, by referral, website, or however, how can the listing agent say 'no'. I'm a one man shop, and I would be the one calling the listing agent to provide access. If she said "I don't allow you near my listings", I would inform her the decision is not hers. If she gave me any grief, I would call my client and say apparently the listing agent doesn't' want you to hire a good quality inspector. My second call would be to an attorney.
    It happens ... it has also happened to me and some of my clients ... almost always (I recall one time my client wimped out) my clients would tell their agent to: a) tell the seller that if they want to sell their home - get rid of their agent (sellers *have* done that because the actions of their agents created 'cause' to void the contract), and my clients ended up buying the houses in most cases; b) tell the seller that their agent just lost the sale of their house, the agent was instructed to then tell the sellers 'Goodbye, you need to find a new agent before another buyer walks because or your agent.', then the buyer's agent leaves with the seller standing their wondering what just happened, like getting hit with by train - Huh?.

You should hear the rants those listing agents would put on, but to no avail, most of those agents were 'the big money maker' agents and they just got too big for their britches, after a couple of episodes like that those agents began losing *A LOT* of business because sellers quit listing their houses with those agents. I did instigate my share of grief for listing agents in return for the grief they gave my clients and me when they found out I was inspecting their listings - I took pleasure in guiding my clients through their 'rights' and their agents were either on board with them or their agents were gone too.

It really is easier than most sellers think to 'fire their agent' and void the contract because there is 'cause' - the agents were not looking out for the buyers or sellers interests and that violated the inferred intent in the contracts. Sellers have listing contracts, buyers work with an agent and can work with, or leave them, 'at will' as there is no contract between them (except in rare cases I've worked with).

Listing (selling) agent made me made, called me a deal killer, said 'how come this is taking so long', I always had a comeback which put them done, I had no tolerance for those agents (I didn't need to with my clients, they were savvy and could wield a quick and sharp cleaver to cut all ties with a bad agent, and they spread the word around their circle of influence 'do not call so-and-so agent', money talks and they had the money ).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    OK. if the inspector is the worst inspector around.
    Word of mouth is one thing. Maybe the agent could tell his associates, and customers.
    But broadcast email is way out of line.

Rick,
    You forget we are in the information age. Blog, Tweet, Twit, Facebook, Yelp, Angryslist, Email, all of the WWW and so on. Electronics communication are replacing "word of mouth" especially since people seem to do a SEARCH rather than actually speak with those that they know.

You do realize that everything on the web is true. Because the Wed said so.

Using the electronic messaging, I would think, only yields greater amounts in awards for liable/deformation. People see to think that there is no consequences for their actions. Hopefully that will change. Once the word gets out, on the web.........

Randy.
    The idea that the agent could effectively influence the buyers selection caught my eye right away. And I was also surprised that no one mentioned it right away. I guess the focus was on suite, $$$, and idiot. Since many would internalize the term idiot. Realtor control/influence in the industry is the pervasive problem and will remain so, regretfully.

The amount being asked for must be the result of many factors. Like demonstration of actual damage as opposed to theoretical future damage. Though I would agree that a larger amount say $300,OOO or $500,000 might get the attention of the Brokerage. Though the Brokerage may have a Ins Pol that covers agent stupidity and is not worried about it. Who knows.

Brokerages are about making money and being hit with a settlement would cause them to council their agents on ethics and keeping their mouths shut. I realize ethics can not be taught. Though keeping your but out of court can be taught.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 06-01-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling

The bigger question may be , how is the agent going to prevent the inspector fro getting near one of the agents listing other than slander?
    Slander works.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I was wondering who would bring this up. How can a listing agent dictate who does the inspection?
    Small town, 20% of the agents have 80% of the listings. They can easily influence the other 80% who need to sell a house to survive.

The inspector has a chance to win, but the legal fees will probably eat up any award he might get. I wish him the best of luck.

Welcome to the web pages of Steinhausen Home Inspections LLC
    Here's his website. He appears to be a competent fellow. I suspect that his inspection was simply very thorough, he talked about stuff the agent had never heard of, maybe rambled on about what could be hidden or some other suspicions he may have had. He offered information above and beyond, trying to help the buyers. Another reason for agents to distance themselves from the actual inspection. The house sold, so what's the beef?

Maybe goofy -looking, but hardly a complete idiot. I find in favor of the defendant.

Last edited by John Kogel; 06-06-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John,
    May not be about the money, but about the principle.

He looks like a decent fellow and judging by his resume, I find him innocent of complete idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    He looks like a decent fellow and judging by his resume, I find him innocent of complete idiocy.
    That's Great Lon.
    * now who's gonna vouch for you ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    That's Great Lon.
    Oh be quiet you idiot!!!! Yeah Yeah, sue me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Oh be quiet you idiot!!!! Yeah Yeah, sue me!
    Sorry Lon,

Wow!!
    *looks like ya gonna need a charter witness for your charter witness.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

It's tough to be me....oh, wait....that's what my wife says about herself and then she tells me how easy it must be for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    That's Great Lon.
    (picture from quoted post does not how)

"Sometimes you are the bug ... sometimes you are the windshield."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Almost every state has limits on the amounts of suits which are assigned to the various courts. You sue for an amount in excess of, or more than. In CT when someone gets sued for big bucks the suit is filed for an amount in excess of 15k. I assume 50k would be the amount wherever this suit was filed. And, I hope he wins.

Angry Re: Inspector Sues Agent for Calling Him Idiot

I am game for any advice on litigating for damages against real estate agents that slander home inspectors. My inspections happen to be very thorough; so thorough that I have been accused by some ASHI inspectors of "over-inspecting." Real estate agents do in fact attempt to steer potential clients away from my firm, and have stooped so low as to do the very thing that is the subject of this post. If there are any attorneys that folk are aware of who have success in this area, I would be happy to hear from them.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Thomas Baker Guest

Cool Re: Inspector Sues Agent for Calling Him Idiot

OMG...we can sue for being called names ??? I think my retirement has just been secured

- - - Updated - - -

OMG...we can sue for being called names ??? I think my retirement has just been secured