Default Picture on business cards?

Getting new business cards. Solo Practice. Does anyone have an opinion as to having ones photo on the card? Most Realtors do.

Thanks for any and all input.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Picture on business cards?

Post your picture. It may be wise not to scare people away with your card as opposed to when you arrive. Might keep the client from being present for the inspection if they saw your picture first.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Post your picture. It may be wise not to scare people away with your card as opposed to when you arrive. Might keep the client from being present for the inspection if they saw your picture first.
    Garry, are you suggesting that Michael post his picture and everyone tells him if he is ugly or scarey?
    What about my picture? Do you think that is really me, or that I hired a professional model to pose as me?

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McElligott View Post
    Most Realtors do.
    What better reason could there be to NOT to have your photo on your business card than that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What better reason could there be to NOT to have your photo on your business card than that.
    Most of the pictures I see on realator's cards sort of remind me of a dating site. The photos are usually 20 years old and look nothing like the person you meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Most of the pictures I see on realator's cards sort of remind me of a dating site. The photos are usually 20 years old and look nothing like the person you meet.

Like he pictures used in obituaries. Dies at 90 and the picture is used is at 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Garry, are you suggesting that Michael post his picture and everyone tells him if he is ugly or scarey?
    What about my picture? Do you think that is really me, or that I hired a professional model to pose as me?
    Why not have a vote on ugly/scarey. I think we can be fair and honest in our assessment, no one here ever makes an unfounded judgement in their assessments or comments on any topic.

Personally I do not put much faith in a persons picture as a determination as to their worth. If you used a professional model I hope you didn't pay him to much, unless it was your brother-in law. The one that is always out of work, then it is OK to over pay.

I put my photo on my website.

As with most things in life, if you are handsome or attractive you may get by just with your looks.

On the other hand there are those amongst us who got short changed at birth when it came to looks, but make it up in other ways, humour, smarts, stature, ....

For those lacking looks, leave the picture for those that have a face for radio.

A business card should not be cluttered, apparently (as told to my by layout artists) you should be able to place a quarter on your card and not have it cover any type, let alone a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post

On the other hand there are those amongst us who got short changed at birth when it came to looks, but make it up in other ways, humour, smarts, stature, ....

For those lacking looks, leave the picture for those that have a face for radio.
    I agree with you Ray,
    I've always said " I wish I was born rich instead of good looking"

Good point Steven. At least if one has money they can opt for plastic surgery to improve the looks.

- - - Updated - - -

Steven

You resemble Ernest Hemingway.

sanjeev supayia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McElligott View Post
    Getting new business cards. Solo Practice. Does anyone have an opinion as to having ones photo on the card? Most Realtors do.

Thanks for any and all input.
    Yeah could be a good idea. Few inspectors in my home town have a picture on business cards since they are in inspection business.
    SmartChoice Home And Mold Inspections
    Brampton Home Inspections Mississauga Home Inspector Toronto - Home

Put your photo on your website! Yesterday my client picked me because I was the only inspector she found in the area that had their picture and name on their website. It really amazed me that so few have their photo and even their name on their website.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Good point Steven. At least if one has money they can opt for plastic surgery to improve the looks.

- - - Updated - - -

Steven

You resemble Ernest Hemingway.
    I've been told that before. We have the same ears.

I don't think a photo on a business card matters much. 98% of the cards I hand out are to clients standing in front of me or their agents. They are already admiring my good looks......ahem.........

A photo on a website makes more sense. I notice that most inspectors are posed at a Glamor Shots or standing in front of their car or the photo was taken by their eight year old. Even though I have the crummiest website possible, my photo is an "action" shot with me staring into a furnace. I get several calls a month from that, (although I think the calls are more related to my geographical location than my action photo.)

To quote the great Canadian philosopher, Red Green....."If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"......words that I live by.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    To quote the great Canadian philosopher, Red Green....."If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"......words that I live by.
    Or ... at least be able to find you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Even though I have the crummiest website possible, my photo is an "action" shot with me staring into a furnace. I get several calls a month from that, (although I think the calls are more related to my geographical location than my action photo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Or ... at least be able to find you.
    Lon, you are correct on 3 counts. You don't need a picture on a biz card. Your website is crummy. Your picture is good.

I had a hard time finding you, BTW.

I suggest OP, and Lon too, when you get time that you give your website some thought, SEO upgrades. The content is not that important. You want to be found when someone surfs the web with their smartphone.

Would you hire this guy?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Would you hire this guy?
    Not me.......I heard an agent call him a "deal killer". I bet he's a complete idiot, too.

I bought a website name in January, but I've been so busy that I haven't done a thing to get it up and running. Plus, with business good, it's hard to get motivated about that.

Lon, you are correct on 3 counts. You don't need a picture on a biz card. Your website is crummy. Your picture is good.
    I suggest OP, and Lon too, when you get time that you give your website some thought, SEO upgrades. The content is not that important. You want to be found when someone surfs the web with their smartphone.

Would you hire this guy?

lon-look.jpg

My comment would be, "Where's the safety glasses?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post

He made sure the area was safe, then he posed for the picture and they took the shot, same as Mike Holmes or any of the TV home reno guys would do.

BTW, where were your glasses when you typed that?

www.allsafehome.ca

lon-look.jpg

I wear safety contacts......I thought everyone did.

He made sure the area was safe, then he posed for the picture and they took the shot, same as Mike Holmes or any of the TV home reno guys would do.

BTW, where were your glasses when you typed that?
    On!!! As old as I am I can't see cow pies without them!!!!

My comment come's from working all my life where they were required. In fact, it scares me the way some contractors work, even with OSHA requirements. I once had something small flip up and hit my safety glasses. If I wasn't wearing them I would be wearing a patch today. Safety is cheap! Nothing needs to be done so quickly or is so important that it can't be done safely. (Getting off my soapbox... )

On!!! As old as I am I can't see cow pies without them!!!!

.........the way some contractors work, even with OSHA requirements........... (Getting off my soapbox... )
    Its was Darwinian based system. If you are not quick you are dead. Those that survive are the better, quicker, smarter, healthier, strongest, most resilient, etc.. In other words they are Supermen. Process of selection

Would you hire this guy?
    Nah ... shirt is way to new looking and he looks puzzled ... like 'WTH am I looking at in here? Oh, right, there it is ... here kitty, kitty, kitty ... '

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: Picture on business cards?

See no reason for a photo, you may be considered to old, to young, wrong nationality or some other silly reason. Use the card for something more worthwhile like prior experience,or years in business. Unless your looking like a hot chick with a screw driver in hand forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wieczorek View Post
    See no reason for a photo, you may be considered to old, to young, wrong nationality or some other silly reason. Use the card for something more worthwhile like prior experience,or years in business. Unless your looking like a hot chick with a screw driver in hand forget it.
    Actually, it's a shirtless firefighter with a flashlight. Good idea, Bill.

www.allsafehome.ca